If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"It's funny because it's true"

edited 2012-02-02 21:00:36 in General

Whenever I see this phrase, all I can think of is "You have been presented with an uncomfortable truth that you don't want to address, so you file it away as 'funny because it's true', where you can swiftly forget about it."

Does anyone else see this?

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Uh . . . no? How have you seen it used? I only use it to poke fun at friends.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I think he's more talking about stuff like "Facts can't be racist!"

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Uh . . . no? How have you seen it used? I only use it to poke fun at friends.
  • edited 2012-02-02 21:10:30
    Has friends besides tanks now

^^ That's what I thought, too. But that's not what pops into my head when I see the phrase, so I guess I just don't see it used that way often enough, which is good. I suppose a better question, on my part, would have been "do you actually see people use the phrase in such a manner that often?"

• edited 2012-02-02 21:11:00

@Everest: Mostly in response to jokes about social injustices or unhealthy but common behaviors (though sometimes I have to question where "joke" ends and "public service announcement delivered as a joke" begins).

• edited 2012-02-02 21:13:09
    Has friends besides tanks now

So, trivialization of unfortunate facts, as opposed to claiming truth in stereotypes, which is what I thought, and in any case that's certainly not the first thing I think of when I see the phrase.

• Actually, I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I've come to a conclusion about myself:

• Has friends besides tanks now

You seem to read too far into things quite often, so I'm inclined to say it's the former. :P

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Don't worry, DonZabu, you are not alone in that.

• edited 2012-02-02 23:54:12
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I thought this was used when you wanted to present someone else an uncomfortable truth, in a mocking way.  Especially if they have objected to that truth before.

That said, I don't like it when said "truth" is merely a statistical inference, or worse yet, a conclusion based on subjective analysis.

• I see humor as something that you can just use as a coping mechanism. If you can't laugh when you think about the darkness in the world, I figure it's harder to deal with.

• ^ However, this can become  an excuse for not doing anything about said darkness. I can see Zabu's point, to that extent.

• I guess that's where one might bring up the laughing with/at distinction, though I guess it's pretty hard to say you're laughing "with" someone when they aren't.

So... hmm... Humor is a pretty tricky thing for me to pin down and justify satisfactorily. I'd feel better dealing with specific cases.