If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Apparently "derpy" is an ableist slur

13»

Comments

• You have free time to argue on the internet instead of struggling with oppression, ergo, you have privilege.

• BeeBee
    edited 2012-02-02 23:07:04

Here's what gets me about the whole charade.

We have characters like this, this, this, this, this, this, and this, all of whom are just about as gone in the head as it gets and do pretty much nothing but cause needless conflict in their respective shows.  At least two of them are explicitly retarded.  Few if any complaints from the oppression crowd about them.  Hell, the same show as the offending character had this guy, who was not only slow, but whose sole purpose was to nearly get the entire cast mauled by an angry bear.

No, the shitstorm starts over a character put in for the sole purpose of giving a nod to fans who genuinely love her to death, and is, at worst, respectably high-functioning.

And that's the one they want stricken from the record.

• I think part of it was that people got more ass-damaged than the town hall from her not fitting whatever elaborate fanon they had for her.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Most of those are from older shows that have been out of the public eye for a long time. The Derpy thing is recent news.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Doesn't make it less stupid.  People don't go on crusades against Patrick for being stupid.

Or maybe they do, I dunno.  People like to yell about stuff.

• I also think part of the problem is that some of the MLP fandom have made quite a big deal of it being a "girls' show that boys watch" and hence some kind of huge advance for Western civilisation. Which is in itself highly debatable, but does leave you open to the response "ZOMG MLP is really a haven of fascist minority-oppression and not PC at all!" 

• ^^ I go on small and very half-assed crusades about Spongebob being stupid on the whole, but I freely admit that's a matter of taste.

• No rainbow star
    ^ Every time I have watched it it is BECAUSE of said stupidity
  • The people against Derpy hooves ARE also against Patrick star, Ralph Wiggum and others. They have literally called for cartoons to stop having "stupid" characters because it's ableist.

Nevermind how much the world tends to idolize and adore those characters and the same shows protray "smart" people as miserable.

• Oh yeah, there was that episode where Patrick somehow became smart, and he deliberately made himself retarded after he found out he couldn't enjoy the same things as his friend anymore.

That shit is probably a more disturbing message, actually.

• And then you have Squidward as a main character whose intellect makes him a jackass.

Sandy is kind of a bitch too sometimes.

• You can change. You can.

Oh yeah, there was that episode where Patrick somehow became smart, and he deliberately made himself retarded after he found out he couldn't enjoy the same things as his friend anymore.

That shit is probably a more disturbing message, actually.

It's a reference to Flowers of Algernon. And the message is just, basically, this:

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

The message wasn't "Ignorance is bliss," it was "Patrick being smart makes him a pretentious tightwad who literally cannot understand the concept of 'fun' and so must become stupid be be happy."