If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

I can't imagine there's that huge an overlap between people who would buy GTA and Rayman anyway.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121990-Ouya-CEO-Plans-To-Release-New-Console-Every-Year

And...any excitement I had about the Ouya just jumped off a bridge.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

They've got a point in that the Ouya would have to keep up with smartphones. On the other hand, a console from an established player in the console race will last you five or six years and play more advanced games. 

^Yeah, I understand their logic, but they're chopping off one of the main things that makes consoles attractive in the first place, in order to compete with something that they're only indirectly competing with.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.400437-First-Real-Trailer-for-Walking-Dead-Survival-Instinct-Appears

There's an actual trailer with actual footage for the Walking Dead FPS. And...it looks slightly less terrible than previous stuff made it look. I mean, that upgrades it from Big Rigs-tier to merely outdated and bland, but hey, I guess that's progress?

• The Rayman Legends thing gets incredibly farcical. 

One common argument is boycotting the game entirely. Read, that would mean no more Rayman and continued delays of Beyond Good and Evil 2. Impeccable logic right there.

Solar 2 is pretty cool.

Just finished Antichamber. It is the best puzzle game ever made, and you should all play it.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-08 01:11:38

I'm now far enough in Spacechem's ResearchNet to have reached the stuff Guava used for the Something Awful tournament.

God help me.  This shit is ridiculous.

I have to process a mixture of noble gases into a different mixture of noble gases without sensors.

At the end of things I have to make motherfucking dioxin with a single reactor using nothing but methene and ethylene.  The finished molecule takes up almost the entire output area, which means my main code section is restricted to one half of the reactor.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122023-Epic-Games-Shuts-Down-Impossible-Studios

Jesus. These guys cannot catch a break.

We're reaching the point where it's becoming clear that someone who was at Big Huge Games is just plain cursed.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Just finished Antichamber. It is the best puzzle game ever made, and you should all play it.

I really want to but I can't afford it T_T

It'll go on sale at some point. Knowing Steam, wouldn't be surprised to see it hit $5 this summer.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Hey, remember when I said my mom had agreed to play The Walking Dead game? That never stopped being a thing that was going to happen.

She started today, since I’m home for the three day weekend. And she actually played through the whole first episode in one sitting. Only died maybe three or four times. Not bad, considering she basically hasn’t touched a controller since Crash Bandicoot on the PS1. Way more competent than either of my sisters, and she was never stuck for as long trying to figure out what to do next.

I’ll get a more detailed list of thoughts later, but she’s definitely enjoying it, even though she makes the most hilarious faces when she does violent things.

What choices did she make?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    She lied to Herschel, because its pretty hard not to. Tried to save Shaun, because I'm not entirely sure she realized that part was a choice. Sided with Kenny against Larry. Gave the bitten woman the gun. Saved Carly.
  • You can change. You can.

Man

does anyone ever not save Carly

i saved doug

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Re MMORPGs

I'm not well-versed in MMORPGs.  I've played Eden Eternal some, and a little Spiral Knight and a little Rusty Hearts.

One thing that actually annoys me about MMORPGs is that they're actually AFPATSTORPGs.  As in A Few Players At The Same Time Online RPGs.  The mission stuff is always a very temporary collab between a few players.  I've never had a chance of getting together some friends from some other context (such as meatspace or a forum) to play an MMORPG, and really, I don't think that I would be able to get together a consistent bunch of friends just through an MMORPG by itself (since I'd be even less familiar with them).  So basically, what happens is that I just end up running dungeons over and over again in order to complete missions with random people with very temporarily common goals in a virtual world.

Other than that, it's just mission grinding.  That's the second thing that annoys me with MMORPGs.  Kill 50 goblins.  Kill the goblin boss.  Bring five light gems and three vials of fire syrup to Bob the NPC.  It's all this stuff over and over again.  This is both boring and unimmersive.  If anything this seems to be merely a minigame in order to encourage player interaction and grant loot and...that's about it?

So what I get in an MMORPG (based on my experience with Eden Eternal) is some combination of helping other people out with their missions, attempting to organize haphazard and disorderly parties, and seeing new places occasionally.

Exactly how am I supposed to play these games anyway?  I know that there's almost no way that there will be any highly coherent and repeatedly-appearing group of fellow players (i.e. it's not gonna be anything like .hack//), but, really, exactly how are they supposed to be fun?

Especially when I can't even give my junk to other players.  I only discovered the item binding mechanism (which seems to be common to many MMORPGs) after playing Eden Eternal for a while.  And I was disappointed; it's like the only function for old gear is to just sell for money.  So is my ultimate goal supposed to be accumulating enough money to acquire some really cool rare items from player-run shops in an f2p game that allows item resale?  Will I have to expect to play the game for like 50 hours in order to get to that point?

FWIW, I think I stuck with Eden Eternal because the gameplay was, while somewhat repetitive, generally okay and not too obnoxious, and the interface and terminology seemed relatively intuitive (compared to Spiral Knights at least), and cute animesque characters.  The ability to change class is great and does at least add some significant gameplay variety.  I can be the party healer or I can be the tank, and I can adjust my role based on what the random people I just met need.  I can help shepherd through newbies.  And the music is decent.  By the time I got to Rusty Hearts, though, the idea of running through a dungeon repeatedly smacking monsters with roughly the same moves became quite boring, and even RH's excellent music didn't do enough.

You know, I know this is supposed to be a positive thing but really I think that even only having cosmetic purchases still does the whole "making you feel bad for not spending money" thing just as much as any other kind of content.

Isn't that the whole point anyway?

I would argue that Dark Souls is not an MMO.

...wait, I thought Dark Souls was a single-player game.  Why are people even talking about it being an MMO?

dude

really

but she was lois lane

in a purple thingie

how

she also didn't know what a battery was

and she doesn't have the purple thing in the first episode

Well, honestly, in that scene, considering she had the gun, I figured that if I saved Carly maybe she could save Doug. so...yeah

...wait, I thought Dark Souls was a single-player game.  Why are people even talking about it being an MMO?

It has online functionality, with players being able to invade each other's games or help each other with boss fights.

I see.  Sounds like a cool idea, though I wouldn't call it an MMORPG.  More like an oligo-player RPG.

More specifically, an MMORPG is more like a massively-multiplayer-choice, oligo-player RPG, while that sounds like an oligo-choice, oligo-player RPG.

Yeah. Basically the point of what I was saying is that while it isn't an MMORPG, it handles multiplayer much better than any actual MMORPG I've played.

So what is the appeal of the MMORPG anyway?

Because my experience has basically amounted to randomly help people or get help with dungeon runs, and otherwise beat really repetitive fetchquest or twenty-bear-asses missions.

• edited 2013-02-08 22:13:23
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^Because it's one of the few genres that allows a large group of players to come together and work at a goal?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Presumably it's to play with other people.

Which is exactly how they work if you get them to work. Hell, I played TOR for months, and I was consistently playing with other people.

Well yeah I know, but my experience is that it's just random groups of other people I never see again.

• edited 2013-02-08 22:16:00
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

In theory, socializing.

But in practice, the ones I've played have mostly failed at that; many of them even outright disincentivize playing with other people outside auction houses and stuff. Except on the occasions when they change their mind and go "okay, for this quest you need four people because we say so."

As for shitty quest design, that's a result of the genre's need for long-term player retention. Most of them go the easy route and just pad the shit out of the game.

What kind of socializing do they expect, other than "hey, are you doing this quest?" "yeah" "wanna form a party" "sure"?