If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Which was annoying, but let's face it, at least they made the PS3 much more accesible, and in my opinion, sacrificing backwards compatibility for that is not exactly a mistake.

That's not why they got rid of backwards compatibility.

They got rid of it because people were buying PS3 games, and they wanted people to keep buying PS3 games instead of PS2 games.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

They got rid of it because people were buying PS3 games, and they wanted people to keep buying PS3 games instead of PS2 games.

No. They got rid of it because the method they used to implement it (actually putting a physical PS2 in the PS3) is why the system was so overpriced at launch.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

No. They got rid of it because the method they used to implement it (actually putting a physical PS2 in the PS3) is why the system was so overpriced at launch.

Not according to everything I've found by Sony's execs.

• edited 2013-02-18 01:23:02
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Lack of sales-driving was a big factor. But if hardware costs weren't a factor, there would have been no reason to do it.

Emulation for PS2 compatibility exists; the lack of purchase intent for backwards-compatibility is why they dropped it completely, instead of searching for cheaper methods to do it.

Plus, PS2 production still happening, etc.

• You can change. You can.

Even if it wasn't (And again, allow me to point out that BC was removed before the Ps3 slim was even announced), I'd say I'd prefer to have access to a PS3 that doesn't let me play PS2 games than not having access to a PS3 at all because of the steep price. - shrug -

I'd prefer to have a PS3 that didn't cost much because they created an emulator that can play PS2 games within you rather than relying on expensive hardware.

But that didn't happen, because they didn't consider the market for backwards compatibility to be significant enough to bother developing it.

• You can change. You can.

I'd prefer to have a PS3 that didn't cost much because they created an emulator that can play PS2 games within you

ewww why you'd let sony create emulators within you

Because I can't English >:(

Far Cry 3's opening is excellent. If they had released it alone as a demo, I'd have bought the game on launch day.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

The more I hear about the upcoming console generation (and what I've seen of the WiiU) the more I am convinced that I am just going to go full-indie PC gamer. Because by all rights, unless The Ouya is good and succeeds, this generation of consoles is gonna suck.

So, unless the consoles are legitimately nonfunctional, how does their existence cause games to suck?

• unless The Ouya is good and succeeds

It isn't and won't, so don't bother. Seriously, that thing was hilariously ill-conceived right from the get-go.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-18 16:23:35

So I finished Legend of Grimrock, and decided to do a Hard run for achievements.  And because I was bored and just got done watching a certain season finale, I decided to abuse the portrait import for a theme run.

Uh...pay no attention to the "insectoid" bit...   >_>

EDIT: ...and I just noticed I misspelled her name.  SON OF BITCH.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

The 3DS is looking to be my Number 1 console for the coming year.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I'm giving The Witcher another shot for like the third time, and...

I dunno.  I really want to like it, but it's just completely failing to hook me.  I know I'm only just past the prologue, but bluh.  I really want to like it, but the dialogue is kinda wonky, voice acting is.... eh, animations are kinda weird, and it all just feels so... video game-y.  In a bad way.  I don't really know how to describe the better than that.

Also, the Heavy style.

I don't care if that is a legitimate way to hold a sword, I cannot get over how stupid it looks.

The first Witcher is really good when it's trying, but mostly consists of unengaging combat and walking places.
  • The PS Vita is finally getting a price cut to about $200... in Japan.

Sony would be crazy not to extend this price cut to other territories. Then again, Sony's handling of the system worldwide has been comedically poor.

Okay, more Colonial Marines stuff. I was talking about how people found the way to turn on the features not normally accessible in the main game in the .ini files? Well, another .ini file has a listing of graphics cards for compatibility stuff.

The most recent of these cards is from 2007.

Which leads to the question: was the game actually in development for six years, or was it mostly in development for one year, five years ago?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

@Forzare

firstly, you are a terrible individual for not liking the witcher ect

You might want to try using the Polish voice acting. It's not exactly the height of voice acting itself, but it pretty much kicks the English voice acting to the curb. The other thing is that the pacing of the game is pretty slow for the first two chapters. I really enjoyed the deliberate slowness, since it plays into one of the strong elements of Witcher stuff -- the slow unraveling of a mystery. The third chapter onwards is much faster, though (while taking about the same amount of time to complete on a chapter-to-chapter basis), so that's a thing. 

By the sounds of it, though, you might want to skip directly to the second game. I started with the second game, in fact. Some people seem to think it's a poor entry point, but I thought it was just fine and most things were pretty easy to understand. Whatever the case might be, though, the second game is cool beans all the way through. Even if it doesn't teach you to play itself particularly well. 

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

@nohay, last page what am I looking at here? Peeps are saying it's Kikiyama, but I don't really know how to parse what he's writing.

One more negative comment about The Witcher: presenting sex partners as a collection sidequest is fucking creepy.
  • I remember someone once genuinely attempting to argue the Witcher was less sexist than Mass Effect.

Wat.
  • edited 2013-02-18 22:05:07
    But you never had any to begin with.

Not a ROM Hack.
    What.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

^ I don't get it?

• But you never had any to begin with.

Lava bubbles coming from stone floors is not a normal aspect of the Mario games.

• I thought it was going to be something about making it halfway through the game with 0 coins or points.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Oh.

I didn't understand that was a Podoobo