If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Just finished the Monster Hunter 3 Demo, and wow Alex you weren't kidding about the Switch Axe being effective. My only gripe so far is that there's very little indication of how much of the boss' health you have left, other than subtle changes in attack pattern and what have you.

• edited 2013-02-22 21:01:31

Animations change very noticeably when the monster's health is low.  But the lack of indication otherwise is deliberate, I'm pretty sure.  You're supposed to judge how much health it has on your own.  That's part of the challenge of capture quests, so I don't think I'm just making that up...

But anyway since you're going to end up fighting everything in the game zillions of times each, you'll end up knowing exactly how long it takes to kill anything.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, I typically judge it by how roughed up the monster is. Sometimes they go berserk and, eventually, they begin to limp and stuff. The whole idea is that you have to be on your toes and control error as much as possible, because you can never be absolutely sure of what it'll take to put the monster down for good. 

• Count the buzzwords!

• So Metal Gear Rising is a pretty great game, because you get to brutally murder a man who talks about memes and their relation to Free Will.

• edited 2013-02-23 14:09:03

But!

100% of the gameplay is rapidly hitting X and whatever direction the nearest enemy is in.

• Not true.

Sometimes you hit Y.

Or rotate the left stick. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So, thinking about the PS4, it occurs to me that Sony's current state in terms of overall business means the PS4 might be its last console even if it's a success. That's kind of depressing.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Pretty sure most of Sony's income is from their insurance businesses and not electronics or games.
  • edited 2013-02-23 16:10:50
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

How to game journalism:

1. Determine a headline you want to run to get a lot of views. In this case, let's say you want to claim the PS4 blocks used games.

2. Interview someone related to that thing.

3. Ask leading questions until they're forced to say something tangentially related to your headline (in this case, admitting that a publisher could include online activation codes with their games and that that would allow for used game blocking, as is possible on any system with internet access)

4. Run the headline.

^They're currently considered a junk investment, though. Things are not looking good for them.

• I need a bit of help. 

In FE Awakening, there's a sidequest where you have to protect Tiki from oncoming Pegasus knights. The problem is that more of them appear after the enemy's turn is over. It goes to the point where we're scrambling to defeat these while reinforcements pour in, leading to several casualties and dead manaketes. Anybody have any clue what to do there?

^Basically, build a giant barricade of people around her, enough so 2-range weapons can't hit her. Use a Rescue staff to move Tiki against a wall if you have to. Then just ride it out until reinforcements stop showing up.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    xcom: enemy unknown for $25 y/n
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

With the caveat that I haven't actually played it yet, that sounds like a good deal.

^^Depends on if you want to play it right now, or not. It's a great game, but you could probably get it cheaper in the next Steam sale.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

@Forzare: Where?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I ended up buying it, because if there's one thing I'm good at, it's hemorrhaging money.  And because I really want to play it.

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/xcom-enemy-unknown

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

so Tiny Plumbers is more tolerable now, because I realized that rather than my inability to run and jump at the same time being an intended feature of the game, it was in fact the result of my computer having a cheap keyboard.

Such is life.

• Yeah ghosting's a bitch.  Though it shouldn't happen with only two keys because it's a consequence of grid ID.

well I would've been holding the directional key too.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-23 22:24:39

Oh, you mean like a sprint key or something separate from arrows, alright that'd make 3.  Yeah I've seen that happen.

I still think my favorite awful control scheme was one back in the 90's when jump and fire were respectively mapped to alt and tab.  I want to say it was Jazz Jackrabbit but I'm probably wrong.

Well run key+jump key+direction I'm jumping in.

• I think the last time I ran into ghosting was Adventures of Shuggy co-op.  Apparently arrow down, Space, numpad 5, and numpad 3 cause arrow down to not register and I had to finagle something to let my mom make the jump at the same time.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Commander Keen's default mappings are Ctrl for jump, Alt for Pogo, and space for Fire, which is kinda awkward.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-02-24 01:41:00

Ys Origin, Hugo Nightmare complete.  A couple of the bosses were a bit more of a pain on account of more awkward damage (Pictimos, Zava), but...for the most part that wasn't even on the same order of magnitude as with Yunica.  All of the bosses that didn't get mildly harder were very nearly trivialized instead.  Hugo chews through Dalles's shields and minion guns like butter, and the version of Kishgal he fights is a total pussy even if you didn't compare him to the ballbuster he was with Yunica.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

I WANT AWAKENING RIGHT THE FUCK NOW

I din't even realize how much I liked Fire Emblem 'til I picked my Virtual Console version of SS for the 3DS.

And I everything I heard about Awakening makes me more excited! I don't really get this hype for a game, but holy shit.

@Saigyouji: That was the standard platformer control scheme for DOS platformers back in the day.  Duke Nukum [sic] 1 and Duke Nukem 2 both did that too: Ctrl = jump and Alt = fire.  Cosmo had Ctrl = jump and Alt = lay bomb.  The cool thing is that you get to pick which Ctrl/Alt pair you use, and that determines whether your "outer" button is jump or fire.

Gonna be streaming the last dungeon of Shaman King: Master of Spirits 1 for GBA in a few.

http://www.livestream.com/gmhschannel

• edited 2013-02-24 03:55:59

Well, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an amazingly average experience. To me, it seems to play an awful lot like Divinity 2 for the most part, except less drab and boring and more forgiving. And what's with the random Mass Effect-style dialogue wheels and Fallout-style weapon/armor wear-and-tear? Answer: I don't really like them.