If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

There are lots of things I like but I can't discuss with people because they're obscure and/or oldish, which is why I only ever really talk about more current stuff.

I would gladly talk to you about old and/or obscure stuff.

• edited 2013-03-30 19:13:29
    Has friends besides tanks now

Perhaps paradoxically, I wasn't actually irritated until you posted this. Go figure.

It doesn't help my interpretation of your motives that your go-to mode of discourse was pithy belittlement.

Best ending of the season so far, also. (well, I haven't watched the last two episodes of Girls und Panzer yet, but that's not really this season)

Yeah, I've read that the ending is good. But at the same time, I'm obviously gonna recommend that you finish GnP because it rocked. :V

Have you ever heard of Natsume Yuujinchou? You might like it. It's a great "breather" show, very whistful with a bittersweet touch.

I have. I first learned about it through a brief reference in Anime Club, and I've noticed that it's on Crunchyroll, which is a plus in my book.

• edited 2013-03-30 14:27:09

The thing is, though, that no-one even seems to pay attention at all.

I do pay attention, actually.  It's just I don't have anything to say, really, so... I don't say anything.  Usually it's because I'm just not familiar at all with what you're talking about, but even if I was it's pretty hard for me to discuss anything in any real depth unless either I've watched it multiple times (which I have only done for a handful of series) or I'm currently in the process of watching it (and even then probably not because I'm terrible at remembering anything for any length of time).

• edited 2013-03-30 14:29:49
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The thing is, though, that no-one even seems to pay attention at all. I'm fine with people talking about things that interest them, but when no-one seems to care about anything that you have to say, you start to feel really shitty.

Well, I could always reply to your posts with "I read and acknowledge that you said something" but I don't think that would help.

Beyond that... Well, there's nothing to do, really. Do you want me to fake interest? Because I can, but somehow I feel that forced interest would hurt you even more than just not responding.

Otherwise... I have nothing. I mean, it feels shitty to say "I'm just not interested in the things you bring up", but that's what it is. Same with 95% of the other stuff in here. 

Going back 10 pages in this thread, I can find me making short comments on things I barely care about, talking about Naruto, responding to people asking about yuri fandom, and talking a bit about Crona in Soul Eater. And that's going back a month and a half.

The same goes for many of the posters here.

But here's another problem: I don't just like things that are weird for the sake of weird.

Maybe not, but to me, the practical effect is the same. You never bring up anything in a context that would make me want to watch it; instead, you say 'it was striking' or 'it was mysterious' or you talk about how subtle the show was, or whatever.

Whereas personally, I'll listen if people say 'It has interesting character archetypes' and explain why, or explain how a show has a tight story arc, or that it has themes that interest me, or whatever.

Other than that... I dunno what to say, sorry.

It doesn't help my interpretation of your motives that your go-to mode of discourse was, "Well then, I shall make sure to avoid Mononoke because fuck hype."

That is hardly something that should seem particularly irritable coming from me.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I have. I first learned about it through a brief reference in Anime Club, and I've noticed that it's on Crunchyroll, which is a plus in my book.

I really suggest that you seek it out. It's a beautiful little show that not a lot of people seem to know about that just makes my heart feel warm and fuzzy even when it's really sad.

• Has friends besides tanks now

That is hardly something that should seem particularly irritable coming from me.

Well, that's where the problem is, in a sense.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Maybe not, but to me, the practical effect is the same. You never bring up anything in a context that would make me want to watch it; instead, you say 'it was striking' or 'it was mysterious' or you talk about how subtle the show was, or whatever.

Whereas personally, I'll listen if people say 'It has interesting character archetypes' and explain why, or explain how a show has a tight story arc, or that it has themes that interest me, or whatever.

Well, when I say that something is subtle, I mean that it the interactions and behaviours of the characters are built up in such a way that you can grasp their character and how they gradually change (or don't change) through very little actual action or dialogue. In other words, showing and not telling, in small strokes. To say that a show builds a strong atmosphere is to say that it was successful with the feeling that it is trying to convey to the point that said feeling permeates not only the narrative itself, but the setting and the framing of the story. I use this shorthand because exegeses on narrative and theatrical minutia tend to put people off.

As for character archetypes, I take it as a given that the characters should be as close to real people and as believable as possible, for better or worse. If they are flat, I will comment on that; if they are basically a walking trope or some mutation of an archetype used in an interesting way, I will discuss that. In the context of a show like Mononoke, discussing that would spoil the arcs, given how character flaws tend to illustrate points in the plots much as archetypes in Noh theatre do, but again: The way that they are used is very heavy on subtext and a certain uneasy self-awareness, which keeps them interesting.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, that's where the problem is, in a sense.

Very well.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Hey, I like magical girls.  Though mostly because of precures being awesome.

I find I don't really like weird for the sake of weird either.  For some reason, unlike some anime fans, I'm not into anime because of its unlikeness compared to U.S. TV.

In other news, I found, in episode 7 of Lagrange, a karaoke version of the Rasmeg Duo version of Try Unite (the OP).  Unfortunately it's not in the Try Unite single, or anywhere else.

Finished GJ-bu. Good shit, man. Probably won't watch another anime today, but I think I'll go for Chuunibyou next.

• edited 2019-01-02 21:39:30
    (long post used to be here)
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ I have yet to watch Alien Nine, but I have wanted to for a while. With that in mind, I might want to watch Figure 17 after it to compare and contrast the two. Thank you for the review.

I would love to see you do more long posts. I love reading other people's opinions. Well, OK, I love reading interesting opinions, and yours tend to be interesting.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

AKB0048 Next Stage 11 & 12: Wow.

11 brings together Chieri's past and the other three original main character's own pasts. It focuses on their fathers and their different reactions to situations and how they show love to their children. It's amazing, emotional and has freaking Mayuyu get a solo act for the whole episode, reminding us why she's one of the most popular members of AKB48. And then it just shoots you down at the end, unexpectedly and surprisingly well done. I loved it.

12 is about all the idols in 0048, it blurs the line between the trainee, graduated and succeeding members and it comes off better for that. It even actually has traditional animation when Tsubasa riverdances! Then we come to the ending, when NO NAME are mentioned and the surprising reaction to 0048's return to Akibastar. I can't wait for Next Stage's finale!

By the way, there is no way Next Stage is the end right? Aside from emotional investment, there are some plots I'd like worked over instead of just rushed through...

• Anime and manga rule.

-lol april fools-

Tell that to the One Piece thread at BTL. :P

• I am God, and all other gods are my imagery. I gave birth to myself. I am millions of forms excreating; eternal; and nothing exists except through me; yet I am not them - they serve me.

BTL still exists?

also who here has watched Little Witch Academia yet?

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

^ Barely. I poke my head in now and then.

• edited 2013-04-01 18:17:17

also who here has watched Little Witch Academia yet?

Me.

My first thought was that it resembles Mahou Shoujotai Arusu mostly by virtue of having a similarly whimsical setting and a sort of similar protagonist, which is a good thing because Mahou Shoujotai Arusu was incredible.  Storytelling is solid throughout and well-paced, as you'd expect from an Anime Mirai(/Young Animator Training Project) work, and the animation is gorgeous.  If there's anything that lets it down it's that the actual plot is very standard (it primarily centers around... fighting a dragon), but it's executed well enough that it doesn't really matter.  It's a little bit disappointing that this is just a 24 minute movie and not a series (or even just a longer movie) because the setting and characters are extremely charming and I'd love to see more of them, but that's how these things go, so oh well.

That said, I'm already sick of all the "BEST ANIME EVER THANK YOU BASED TRIGGER" people.

• edited 2013-04-01 19:17:35
    Kichigai birthday!!

This is the greatest video of all time. Watch it now.

The image quality kinda sucks though.

waaaaaaaat (NSFW)

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but . . . whaaaaaat?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> If you think this is the most ridiculous concept for a manga you’ve ever heard, you’re not alone. Even the artist, Tomokichi, admits that it’s an idea that everyone’s thought about before, but no one has been dumb enough to actually try.

There's a reason no one has tried it before now.

Congratulations, Tomokichi, you drew the idiot ball.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    haha benis :DD
  • But you never had any to begin with.

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, but . . . whaaaaaat?

The gun is good, the penis is evil.

It just really weird until they got to what he had to do with it.

Anyways

-- (141) AKB0048 Next Stage v1

D:

• edited 2013-04-02 12:58:28

RE: Gunpenis

reminds me of the "Senkousha" meme.

It was satirized in Japan, where, known as Senkousha, it became an internet phenomenon; one article described the protruding joints near the robot's crotch as a "cannon", resulting in internet games based on the concept.

There's also a fanvid, btw.

I thought I was the only one here who even considered magical girls as a thing.

I know I don't, or at least, not very capable of. Lumping them in with Japanese super heroes in general makes me think I'd enjoy Madoka Magica more if she was more like the protagonist of Ultraman Nexus.

By the way, is Uta Kata worth getting the DVD for? I think it's out  of print by now, but I might be able to find a good deal. Might.

• edited 2013-04-02 13:20:38
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Yes. Yes it is. I recommend it wholeheartedly. The Sentai release is available on Amazon, Rightstuf etc.

Though be warned that the set I got just quit after episode 3, though I might've just been really unlucky.

Speaking of, the unattainable Wind Djinn Ichika figure has begun to haunt me.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Apparently there is now a UK DVD release of Mawaru Penguindrum. I am hoping to all the gods that it's not simply a redistribution of the Sentai Filmworks release, because I would love to buy a legitimate edition of that show without the constant influx of Fosterisms.

• edited 2013-04-02 16:16:25
    Kichigai birthday!!

Today I learned Kenji Ohtsuki did a cover of the Chargeman Ken opening for the show's soundtrack.

Here it is if you want to listen to it, sorry for the nico link, it's the only one I could find

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/nm12789280.

• edited 2013-04-02 17:17:48

because I would love to buy a legitimate edition of that show without the constant influx of Fosterisms

What does this even mean?

Also obligatory loldubs.  Maybe.  Depending on what that comment means.

Anyway, Mawaru Penguindrum was fabulous max so it's probably worth buying either way.

Even if my favorite character became irrelevant and boring less than halfway through...

Zetsuen no Tempest 23: Nearing the end, final thoughts and hopes.

I quite liked everyone's actions in this episode. The fight scenes were wonderful and even Juunichirou has transgressed to mildly annoying but not enough to marr my experience.

Also where do I get a photo-print of Tetsuma and Nakumura bearing being in vacation outfits.

And of course, Hakaze was awesome.

AKB0048 Next Stage 13: Humanity is great.

To be honest just watching this episode was an amazing experience. There was music, there was character growth and there was Macross battles. What there was not though, an ending or resolution to most of the stuff.

Though I hope that doesn't matter because there's a third cour. I really need justification for Chieri's father's death, because there still isn't any.

Vividred Operation 12: Rei's Key, but not a Vivid Key, but it is sort of that too.

Okay, this was fun, really fun. Really really fun. Really really really fun. Of course, it didn't exactly complete Akane's character arc but I feel this show is trying for a sequel. But I personally loved it.

You'll probably notice that I haven't talked about episode content as much as I usually would, but that's because I'm kind of overwhelmed right now with Zetsuen and Next Stage's finale.