If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

the hell happened to E.D.?

Comments

• ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Except sexually repressed protestants who dedicatedly go to church and protest gay marriage don't look at ED, so the word will always sting.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    @ Dyre: Part of the hate is that much of their humour relied upon offending people. And as humour is subjective, the 'lulz' fell flat for a lot of people, and all they could see was a lot of vulgarity, offensive terms and dickishness.
  • I liked our revamped page, that was actually funny. 
  • edited 2011-04-17 01:33:55
    ^^^^^ Every single informal wiki has that problem. I Am Not Making This Up, Oscar Wilde quotes, etc.
  • See, the thing is, running a site like Encyclopedia Dramatica has to be one of the most frustrating things in existence.  You have to deal with one of the nastiest bunches of contributors there are(as well as pissed off subjects of articles trying to ruin the site), you can't get any but the sleaziest advertisers to put their ads on your site(I seriously doubt that ED wasn't run at a loss), you can't check the site from work(as mentioned in the article), etc.
  • I can easily name at least five other sites with nastier contributers.
  • No rainbow star
    I just wish a few good pages were saved first, such as the Pidgey one
    Do it salmon.
  • «I can easily name at least five other sites with nastier contributers.»
    I said «one of the nastiest», so your argument is invalid.
  • Have you ever had any contact with any of ED's contributers?
  • BobBob
    edited 2011-04-17 02:32:13
    So, just one?

Besides, he's just a whiny butthurt troper.

Wait, why did I strike that out?
  • They're somethin' else.
    ED was boring. Moreso now.
  • edited 2011-04-17 05:30:55
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    So instead of a painfully unfunny NSFW site (that occasionally succeeds in being a little bit funny), they make a painfully unfunny SFW site (that occasionally succeeds in being a little bit funny)?

Yeah, that sure is a big change.
  • I don't even know what Encyclopedia Dramatica is and it sounds like just some cheep knockoff of Uncyclopedia. Why was I recocmended there? I have no idea.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I don't think that was a serious suggestion.  It was probably a reference to how a number of banned tropers used to go there to bitch about TV Tropes.

And no, it is not a cheap knockoff of Uncyclopedia.
  • no longer cuddly, but still Edmond
    Encyclopedia Dramatica was, largely, a site about recording internet drama.  They basically pointed out who was full of bullshit, and why, and then laughed at them.

Articles they had that I liked:

That Guy With the Glasses (favorite bit:  where they pointed out that AT4W was basically Chris Bores, except for comics)

Ray Jones:  some weird guy who had a sick obsession with a character from Chip n' Dale's Rescue Rangers, of all shows.  Had an incredibly hilarious comic about said character wanting to destroy the human race after searching for her own name on the internet.

4chan:  explained to me what that board even is.

And of course, TV Tropes--particularly after it got un-Ryaled.  (by the way, the non-Ryal version still exists on Google's cache)
  • edited 2011-04-17 10:00:51

Oh I don't want to Bitch about TV Tropes I love TV Tropes I just
    want to get back however I can.

And then after ED ran out of big drama they had to make a page for every asspie in existence that wasn't even  remotely funny or was even popular.

"HO HEY THIS GUY HAS ASSBURGERS SYNDROME AND IS A FAGGOT AND A FURRY AND SUX COX"

The problem is that reverting any stupid shit would be responded with "totally offended" and "butthurt?" and recently "u mad bro?" which made trying to fix or remove the page nearly impossible.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > It got better at least. The word "faggot" was mentioned 58,000+ times on
    that wiki, while "lulz" was only mentioned 12,000+ times. That place
    was getting flooded with unfunny name-calling bullshit than generally
    entertaining content. Nearly every page generally consisted of "This is a
    place for furries and faggots. This is what the furries and faggots do.
    This is why it's filled with furries and faggots. Insert funny images
    here."

This is why I prefer Uncyclopedia.  It's actually witty.  ED was just a site where people hated on everything for the sake of hating on everything, because apparently all the cool kids were also hating on everything.  As such, it lacked, y'know, actual humor.

For the most part at least.

When I heard it died, I was like, whatever.  I never enjoyed it when it was around, but hating it is wasting my time.
  • a little muffled
    A few years ago I would've been happy to see it go, but now I just don't give a fuck. It was occasionally funny, but nowhere near often enough for its loss to be worth mourning. On the other hand, it was fairly harmless in its time.
    I don't like their obsession with mocking certain people (as in internet "celebrities"), but that's because it just strikes me as wasting time over shitty, and generally increasingly unfunny, drama.

Such people are a novelty when you first discover them, and maybe you RAEG for a few days, and then it gets old.  And you realize how pointless it is.
  • edited 2011-04-17 17:56:28
    Some of you are glad ED's gone, and others are dissapointed.

But who here gives a fuck either way about its replacement?
    Haven't seen it, other than for a brief moment, and don't care enough.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^ Whenever I see Oh Internet, I think, "Oh Canada," and the anthem starts playing in my head
    Hope nobody minds the slight necro.

Today I read the Oh Internet page on John Kricfalusi and, well... if this is a sign of things to come, then I'm a lot more optimistic about "Oh Internet" than I was initially. It's still not Encyclopedia Dramatica but at least its covering the right sort of ground.

I'm not sure how they plan to call out the internet's B.S. in a SFW environment though.
  • edited 2011-04-22 09:21:28
    Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    "That Guy With the Glasses (favorite bit: where they pointed out that AT4W was basically Chris Bores, except for comics)"

And... I'm going to contest this. I don't even read comics, but I love to watch Linkara's show. In contrast, I do play video games, and I only have a passing interest in Irate Gamer. Linkara is witty, self-deprecating, and has a specific style of narrating comic dialogue. He also knows what he's talking about, and he allows himself to be corrected when mistaken. He has clear definitions on what he considers "good" and what he considers "bad", distinctions I often find myself agreeing with. I'm really not seeing the similarities here.
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    Let us not delve into the depths of why everybody hates the Irate Gamer (hint: he sucks) and why we should just ignore him (hint: he sucks). 
    "I'm not sure how they plan to call out the internet's B.S. in a SFW environment though."

By doing the opposite of what they were doing last time, just with less horrid imagery.
    Well, the archive site is coming along nicely.

By "coming along nicely"  I mean they've replaced Ryal's TV Tropes article with Vorpy's.

Therefore, nothing of value was lost and I've updated by bookmarks so they point to the new site instead of Oh Internet.