If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM II ruined Tvtropes for me

edited 2011-04-15 20:47:22 in General
I can't like this place too much because it's stupid and silly. I can't like Tvtropes as much because I'm more keenly aware of its flaws.

:(

Comments

• Woki mit deim Popo.
    So what brought this on?  I mean some of the posters here seem have gotten more serious.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I feel like this place is turning me into a kind of shitty PR man.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ^You haven't been saying anything without backing it up.
  • The problem is that Tvtropes was never good to begin with. The forum was the only saving grace.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    ^ That isn't much of a saving grace though. It was a good thing in a bad place. If this forum had it's own index of different works that was as easy to access as [ADirtyShame], and crazy potholes to enhance discussion it would have been perfect.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I've never really understood how people who don't like the wiki wind up on the forum.
  • The Sonic Series Wiki Curator of TvTropes
    The problem is that Tvtropes was never good to begin with. 

Yeah, well, that's your opinion!
    I came to the Wiki first, found a forum due to the search and typed a bit.
  • edited 2011-04-15 23:30:14
    Cue-bey
    ^^^I can't remember how I originally got to Tvtropes, but I specifically remembered that I didn't bother registering an account until I had been reading IJBM for almost a month, and decided I wanted in.

Come to think of it, the forums are merely okay. IJBM was what made it great.
  •  If this forum had it's own index of different works that was as easy to access as [ADirtyShame], and crazy potholes to enhance discussion it would have been perfect.

You mean, besides a large userbase and a significantly better signal to noise ratio?
  • Large userbases are usually bad. We have the perfect number here: enough that it's active, enough that we can get to know each other (as much as you can online, anyway), but not so large that we get a ton of idiots.
  • Woki mit deim Popo.
    I do remember when tvtropes had a different forum.  I'd never visited it much before the site got hijacked by some dude who found the backdoor.
  • I like both IJBM and the TVTropes Video Game forum; I think I've lost interst in Yack Fest and IJAM.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I quite like the wiki.

While I disagree with some policy aspects, overall I approve of the wiki.
  • Likes cheesecake unironically.
    IJBM II ruined TV Tropes criticism for me. It got to the point that I even dismiss issues, that I actually agree with, as random whining.
  • I like the On-Topic Conversations. Wiki is cool too.
  • Master Guardian of the Passive Voice
    "The problem is that Tvtropes was never good to begin with. The forum was the only saving grace."

Really, snowbull? I couldn't care less about those forums. Internet forums are a dime a dozen. With the site though.... well, let's say I go and watch Bob and Alice save the universe. "Ha! Fun movie. I wonder if..."

I go to tvtropes. Yeah, it's filled with entries. There's Five Man Band, and it's broken down just the way I like it. There's the Heroic Sacrifice, yup, and there's the spoiler highlighted--but I know who it is by now, so let's see how they phrased it. Hmm, I wonder if anyone else noticed that they got the capital of Chile wrong? Ah, there it is on Did Not Do the Research. And there's a second bullet point explaining why they made that decision. And the third bullet point wraps it up in a clever joke, hah! Oh hey, they don't have anything here about that obvious Beard of Evil! Let me stick it in...

• The only real value works pages could possibly have for me are being able to see what kind of stuff is in a show before I watch it.  After I watch it, the page is worthless because I already know everything that might be on the page, and in fact might actually be worse than worthless because it might inspire nerdraeg.  But there are better ways to find shows that contain whatever it is you're looking for, so... the TV Tropes wiki doesn't have any value to me.  And at this point, the forums don't have much either since IJBM is gone.  The only place I even post now is in "Kagami Hiiragi snuggling with onions."
  • I've been feeling similarly about the character pages. Tropes can give you an idea of what the character might be like, but they won't tell you who the character actually is.
  • No rainbow star
    I like the trope pages :D
  • I will admit though, that sometimes the descriptions of shows on works pages are better than summaries elsewhere on the internet.
    The only thing I don't like about TV Tropes is the fact that they don't delete enough stupid shit.
  • I like seeing the works page after I see something.
  • A lot of people do, because they like it when people tell them things they already know.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Or maybe we aren't as astute and can't pick out every trope the first or even tenth time through?
  • ^^ Don't be a dick, Dyre.
  • No rainbow star
    ^ Dyre is being a penis?

AND YAY 01210 ^ PATTERN!
  • Well duh.

How else would he be able to tolerate Kodomo No Serious Sociological Fiction?
  • edited 2011-04-17 15:03:15
    No rainbow star
    ^ ...By being a vagina? A breast? A testicle? A vas deferens?
  • A lot of people do, because they like it when people tell them things they already know.

*Raises hand*

Well, that and getting bits of trivia (Word Of God and such).