If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The inconsistent availability of anime on Hulu

edited 2011-04-17 15:00:20 in General
I prefer to watch it on Netflix instant, because they make more of an effort to include all episodes and aren't constantly taking stuff down, but they don't have some of the stuff Hulu has.

Comments

• edited 2011-04-17 15:02:27
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I prefer Netflix too, but when I introduced my roommate to Gurren Lagann on it, I discovered that their copy of the Wham Episode was replaced by the recap episode after it, which starts by spoiling what happened. I wasn't happy.
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Reminds me of the time where I thought I watched the wrong episode of Haruhi and it turned out I didn't.
  • animefreak.tv and gogoanime are way better.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    ^^ Or was it?
    No, it was the 13 episode one where suddenly it went from an island murder case to something else, and then back to it.
  • And all the internet circles have episodes on now-gone video sharing sites. Or Megavideo.
  • edited 2011-04-17 16:54:49
    Streaming websites kind of suck for anime, and presumably other TV shows.  I mean, even if you can tolerate the low video quality (sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.  Depends on the show, and which site it's on.  Most official sites for shows are decent quality, Megavideo is always shit), you have things like sometimes certain episodes are missing, shows get removed for no reason at random, only having one audio track in dual-audio shows (like, if I want to watch Gurren Lagann in Japanese, I can't because the official Youtube channel is in English), etc.

I usually think it's a lot more convenient to just download shows first.  Though, bandwidth caps limit my ability to do this as much as I'd like.
    I can usually tolerate the low quality; it's just that, especially for more recent shows, as well as anything whose IP is actively being defended (such as any Funimation property) you're likely not to find a complete series on video sites.

Which sucks for me, because I'm pretty strongly a try-before-you-buy person.
  • edited 2011-04-17 17:03:12
    Well, at least in Funimation's case, they usually put videos of their shows on their website.  Often even before the DVDs are released, and a lot of the time they have the Japanese audio and the dub.  So it's not too bad for them.

But yeah, I am also a try-before-you-buy person, I guess.  It doesn't really make sense to spend $50 or more on something that I won't end up liking, after all.
    They used to put up whole series, but nowadays they just put up the first few episodes of series.
  • Ah, is that so?  Then yeah, that's annoying.  Just watching the first few episodes doesn't really tell how good the rest of the series is.
    Isn't hulu free? THat's probably why.
  • No rainbow star
    We need a Canadian Hulu

Culu?
  • No rainbow star
    ^ PH'NGLUI MGLW'NAFH CTHULHU CANADA WGAH'NAGL FHTAGN!
    ^ KRA'AGH!  KLEET'OH BRANGH CHE'EKOH TAGHQ?
    ^ BAD WOLF?
  • Doctor Who is also something I watched on Netflix.

They don't have the 5th season yet, but I assume it'll be up eventually.
  • No rainbow star
    ^^^ Mliv tihah sesect'it'ic lyncos
  • I prefer Crunchyroll for anything not on Hulu.
  • Crunchyroll's video player is terrible.  Mostly because it loads videos incredibly slowly, and also doesn't tell you how much of the video is loaded...

Plus, Crunchyroll's subtitles are occasionally pretty bad...
  • When in Turkey, ROCK THE FUCK OUT
    I watch Cowboy Bebop on YouTube. Does that count? 
    An entire season?
    Well, there's 26 eps, no? I'm currently on 12.

Quick question: just how different is XX from the rest of the series? 
    I don't know; I don't know Cowboy Bebop.
    You should. It is gloriousness. 
    I've seen Knocking on Heaven's Door.  Nice, but I wasn't so impressed as to watch more of it.  Not a huge fan of the setting; the music might convince me though.
    Yes, the music is good.

Try this or this or this or this. Now
    Well, the opening theme is definitely one of my favorite animé themes, though I usually forget to mention it since it's hard to keep it mentally tagged as an animé theme.

The ending theme seems decent but not particularly inspiring.

The two background tracks you linked to are nice, but I think they might be nicer after I've seen the show and they've acquired additional associative meaning.