If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Anime are not Cartoons"

edited 2011-01-15 20:29:30 in General
Kichigai birthday!!
Yes they are.

"Anime" is the Japanese word used for any work of animation, including Western works

"Cartoon" should be the English word used for any work of animation, but try saying that to any weeaboo and you will probably will be called an anime hater or something.

Comments

• ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    Someone MUST link that comic with the tween explaining to his dad that his anime isn't a girls cartoon.
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    The reason Anime is called anime and not "Japanese Cartoon" is only because of a difference in art style, that and cultural differences.

That said, I hold the rather unpopular opinion that things that are quote on quote "animesque" are anime (eg, Teen Titans).
  • edited 2011-01-15 21:07:23
    Cue-bey
    Related: people insisting I call japanese comics "manga". If we are comparing western and japanese comics, it might be useful to call japanese comics "manga", but if I'm talking about a single work, I'll just say "the Soul Eater comic".

^Avatar as well.

EDIT: Goro Goro Iki, etc. etc.
  • Kamen Rider MADOKA
    It's all because the Japanophiles do not dislike what they deem baka gaijin to ruin their not less silly cartoons with being targeted for children.
  • «quote on quote»
    It's «quote-unquote», and you don't need it in text because it's there to imply quotes.
  • Well, remember: words have meaning beyond their explicit dictionary meaning. The image and concept that is evoked via the usage of cartoon is different from that of anime. Certainly, the two words communicate different things. It's not that "anime is not cartoons" so much that "No, anime is different than that." Because "that" in this context refers to American animation-the types of crap you find on Boomerang.

Not that there's not Japanese cartoons of the same caliber of course.
    Poni: Is it now? Huh.

"^Avatar as well"

Indeed.

"It's all because the Japanophiles do not dislike what they deem
    baka gaijin to ruin their not less silly cartoons with being targeted
    for children."

donttroll.jpg
  • Meh. I just use the words cartoons and comics for everything. Even things that are neither of those.
  • edited 2011-01-16 12:37:40
    a little muffled
    To me, anime are a subset of cartoons. I use the word "anime" most of the time, because if I say "cartoons", people will think of Western ones, and "Japanese cartoons" is longer. Besides, the word "cartoon" sounds kind of silly, which is okay if I'm talking about FLCL and less so when I'm talking about, say, RahXephon. I'd find it weird to refer to a more serious Western animated series as a "cartoon" as well.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^ This, minus the part about «cartoon» sounding silly.
    Gotta go with Nyktos on this one.

I tend to call serious Western things Animations. Because I'm insufferably pretentious.
  • Deliberately using a word because it's "technically correct" when the connotations involved in using that word are incorrect is pretentious-referring to something in a technically correct way that doesn't give that false information is not. So call western things "animation." And call anime anime. Call Yogi Bear a cartoon. Because it is.

I mean, you wouldn't use the word fag to refer to a cigarette.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I would.
    I would if I were vacationing in Britain.
  • «God Hates Cigarettes»
    «God Hates Bundles of Sticks»
  • edited 2011-01-16 15:31:06
    Because you never know what you might see.
    God just doesn't want you to wreck your lungs.  All the stuff about homosexuals is a terrible misunderstanding caused by an ancient mistranslation of the Hebrew term fag.
  • ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "American animation-the types of crap you find on Boomerang."

You monster...
  • Okay, so maybe that's a little harsh-I don't have anything against classical American cartoons or anything, persay, but they certainly convey a separate sense of artistry than much of (not necessarily even most-though most of the internationally popular) anime.
  • I think he means the Hanna-Barbera output that dominates its schedule, not known for high production values, creativity, or good writing.
  • That, and your standard Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon fare, which while not typically of low quality necessarily, certainly is a different "genre" (I use the word loosely) than, say, most exported anime.
  • edited 2011-01-17 02:51:05
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    That does bother me, since "anime" is a collective noun and is thus singular.

The proper usage is "anime is not cartoons".
  • edited 2011-01-17 03:09:51
    Pony Sleuth
    With all due respect, fuck that.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/anime

"Anime" and "animes" can be used as the plural.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    With all due respect, fuck that.

"Anime" is a term for the style or medium.  The correct plural form would be "anime series" or "anime productions".

...speaking of which, it's animé.
  • edited 2011-01-17 03:20:36
    Pony Sleuth
    That's ridiculous. Almost no one spells it that way. Language is defined by usage.

Oh, looky here.

It's listed as an alternate spelling of "anime," not the other way around.
  • edited 2011-01-17 06:10:05
    Likes cheesecake unironically.
    Normally, I'd agree with the OP, but in that case I can't take it serious because of a certain W-word.
  • Oh noes someone used the W-word.

Oh noooooo.

This is the worst thing.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    W-word?  Did someone way W-word?

W-word! W-word!

CentralAvenue: The English term is a loanword from Japanese which itself is a loanword from French.

Fridge Brilliance: Animé (or anime if you prefer) is a pinnacle of multiculturalism!
  • Anyone who says Weeaboo loses all credibility in terms of making an intelligent point and is automatically a troll.