If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

"Anime are not Cartoons"

2»

Comments

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    DENIED, DENIED YOU JUST GOT DE-NIED.

.....I'm sorry, what was the topic of this thread again?
  • No Stairway? DENIED!
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    "Anyone who says w****** loses all credibility in terms of making an
    intelligent point and is automatically a troll."

This just in: the w-word is hereby declared a mindvirus, along with The Game and a famous Chinese dictator.

Also, xkcd invocation.
  • I think it's okay to use the w-word, if you are talking about weaboos. If you use it to mean anime fans of any kind, then use a different word.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    ^ Implying that «weeaboo» means anything other than «somebody who likes anime more than [person speaking]».
  • edited 2011-01-17 13:43:26
    That is exactly what I'm implying, deal with it

:P
  • Because you never know what you might see.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Okay,okay, "Hardcore Anime Fans"
    I dunno. I'm far from hardcore and I certainly think there are enough differences to warrant calling the two different things.
    What two?
  • «This just in: the w-word is hereby declared a mindvirus, along with The Game and a famous Chinese dictator.»
    Don't forget the series of shoot-em-up games that does not exist.
    That's just a meme.

That's not a "You can't talk about this for fear of a penalty".
    "
    What two?"

Anime and Cartoons.
    Animé is a subset of cartoons.
    But a distinct one.

Referring to something using a term that is technically correct, but that you know will give people the wrong impression is kinda assholish.
  • edited 2011-01-17 17:23:03
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    I still don't understand the objection to the term "homosexual", other than the fact that it has too many syllables and is thus awkward to use.  But it's more accurate meaningwise than "gay".
    What does that have to do with anything?
    "Referring to something using a term that is technically correct, but
    that you know will give people the wrong impression is kinda assholish."
  • edited 2011-01-17 17:46:05
    (void)
    It feels too medical is the problem, I think.  At any rate, that reminds me of one Christian news site that wordfiltered «gay» to «homosexual» because the former was too accepting or something, and ran an article on this guy...

Here is an article about the thing...
  • edited 2011-01-18 21:29:57
    a little muffled
    The Japanese word "anime" is far more likely to ultimately come from English (originally as "animeeshon" and then shortened) than to come from the French "animé".
  • I use "anime" to refer to those Japanese animated shows with big shiny eyes and "cartoons" to refer to those non-Japanese animated shows which use "destroy" instead of "kill". Since everybody can understand what I am talking about, arguing about the "correct" terms is just a non-productive semantics debate.
  • Is Welcome to the NHK anime then????????
    I dunno, but probably.
  • This is the first time I have ever threadhopped in here.

Gomen Nasai.

What's the likeliness of an animesque cartoon surviving in america that isn't intended for the 8 - 12 year old audience?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    Cartoon
    Anime

Anime is shorter.

Comic
    Manga

They are the same, and comic has more pronounciation in it, to make it a heavier accented word.

Though people prefer to call it what they wish.