If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

At least it's more original than all those generic big name media!

edited 2011-05-27 18:14:12 in Media
Being indie or at least less mainstream doesn't automatically defend something from sucking.

Comments

• Originality is usually a point in favour of a work, though (it doesn't automatically make it good, but it helps). I'm not sure what context this was used in... maybe you could provide an example?
  • edited 2011-05-27 18:42:39
    ^^One I constantly hear is about how Yahtzee is a good reviewer because he actually insults things unlike dem big name reviewers who are controlled by The Four Point Scale. I haven't seen his stuff, so I don't feel for him either way, but that is such a stupid argument. Also, indie games. A lot of their fanbase assumes that if you don't understand the brilliance of their artistic vision, you just want more generic big-budget games, usually without explaining why they are supposedly generic. There's loads of difference between Super Mario Galaxy and Unchartered and Rock Band.
  • You can change. You can.
    My problem with Yahtzee is that he insults things for the sake of insulting things. He doesn't find a game's pros and cons and lays them out, like a reviewer is supposed to. He will just nitpick it to hell.

Also, originality is indeed a point in favor of a work.

• Yeah, I've gone back and forth on liking Yahtzee. One of my gripes--and this amazes people when they hear it, though the reasoning is mundane enough--is that he's not vicious enough. He sounds like he's nitpicking or even riffing on the game rather than tearing it apart as if he really fucking hates it. In a reviewing world full of guarded, insipid praise, it's nice to hear some passionate disgust once in awhile. Yahtzee doesn't quite hit it.

I indeed appreciate originality for its own sake....it is, of course, one consideration among many.
  • edited 2011-05-27 19:01:58
    I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    ^ As long as the passionate disgust isn't like the multitude of dull reviewers who go so OTT with their 'anger'.
    They are the worst reviews, unfunny unrefined and useless.
  • Oh my goodness yeah. Passionate disgust is hard to do well and it's no fun to hear some moron yell about nothing. Disgust with wit, maybe. Yahtzee sometimes comes close to what I'm looking for...
  • I just like Yahtzee because I find his brand of humor paired with his fast speaking and British accent funny.