If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM D&D game! (discussion)

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I'd do it if absolutely nobody else would, but I'd prefer to play.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I don't think anyone'd fault you for playing both sides. I know that's usually frowned upon, but you don't seem like the type who'd make their character a mary sue.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

I really just want to play. I've never DM'd a game that wasn't PbP and I've got too much on my plate to GM.

Ey, this may be a problem.

:I 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't think anyone'd fault you for playing both sides.

But I don't swing that way :x

I know that's usually frowned upon, but you don't seem like the type who'd make their character a mary sue.

It's usually frowned upon because the players want to play, they don't want to... not-play, I guess. They don't want NPC's to take center stage, they want to take center stage.

could take center stage, I guess. I'd just prefer it if someone else GM'd.

If nobody else is willing, I will, though.

• edited 2012-10-28 23:00:44
    Has friends besides tanks now

Normally, I would volunteer (with the hopes of being a player, too, since I'm pretty good about not making attention-whoring PCs, e.g. I take it upon myself to fill in the roles that aren't covered as well), but I don't have the time for that much extra work. My workload is also why I would prefer PbP.

Nova: Maybe you could make your character the group's "leader"? I'm just spitballing here, and this is obviously just if we don't find anyone else.

Though being the leader would mean your PC would be the target of Uxie's sense of humor.

Yes I already have about half of my character mapped out in my head and am currently deciding on hair color, why do you ask? 

Nova: Maybe you could make your character the group's "leader"? I'm just spitballing here, and this is obviously just if we don't find anyone else.

That is what I would end up doing, yes. Either the leader or the "mentor".

• Has friends besides tanks now

Or, perhaps, just the person who provides the main plot/an excuse for the party to do stuff?

Makes sense.

In the meantime, I am going to acquire PDFs of Pathfinder's Core Rulebook (I already downloaded the Advanced Player's Manual thinking it was....well, the core rulebook) and see what I can do character creation wise. 

Or, perhaps, just the person who provides the main plot/an excuse for the party to do stuff?

But Nova wants to actually play too, is the thing. 

• edited 2012-10-28 23:10:00

But Nova wants to actually play too, is the thing. 

But that's not what I said?

Having that DMPC be a sort of "mentor" or party leader (a concept I hate in the first place, if it's being used in a certain way) would rub me the wrong way, but, by all means, they could have knowledge that allows them to move the plot forward.

I guess "just" was the wrong word to use there, but there's no reason that this character has to take on such a specific mechanical/party role.

Well I mean, I think she wants her character to be in the party.

Unless I'm just not getting what you're saying and am being a Bidoof. Which is wholly possible. 

• Has friends besides tanks now

See if my edit makes more sense.

Oh, I see what you mean.

That'd work if our campaign's to have an overarching plot, but we don't know if it will. 

I guess "just" was the wrong word to use there, but there's no reason that this character has to take on such a specific mechanical/party role.

No, but both of those (leader, mentor) would give me a very easy way to both move the plot along via the character and still have a character than can actually be a character.

A leader would be able to have access to resources- military commanders, nobility, access to information troves, etc- while a mentor would, presumably, have traveled a lot and know a lot of people and areas.

• edited 2012-10-28 23:17:10

^^ Yeah. It's up to Nova, which is why I'm saying it might be too early to decide what the DMPC's role is.

^ Really, as long as they don't steal the spotlight, I'm cool with it.

• edited 2012-10-28 23:26:36
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Indeed indeed.

Hey guys, this download is taking forever so I can't look it up atm, does anyone remember what a Sorcerer's weapon proficiencies are?

I always get tired of magic users always looking roughly the same (staff, robes, s'about it). 

Really, as long as they don't steal the spotlight, I'm cool with it.

I'd like to think I could avoid that. You could always mob and kill the PC if I don't.

does anyone remember what a Sorcerer's weapon proficiencies are?

Simple Weapon proficiencies.

Yes but I don't recall what simple weapon covers.

Irrelevant though since the PDF finally downloaded. 

Also, anyone have any ideas what we wanna do for setting? Just typical fantasy world or what?

Also, anyone have any ideas what we wanna do for setting? Just typical fantasy world or what?

I have a setting made for D&D, but I dunno if it would be suitable.

So instead, everything shall be set on an island. A continent, even!

What kind of setting?

You have made me curious. 

It's a setting I wrote, which sets the stage for several brutal conflicts (a three-way civil war among the main nations of the country, a civil war between the Elves and the Drow, a genocidal conflict between the Dwarves and the Kobolds, and war between several ideologies of churches), and involves several continent-spanning wars in the past.

But it's kind of a silly setting, as it requires the use of Wish to put several dragons into eternal slumber, to annihilate most of an army, and the side-effects of wish involve isolating the continent from the rest of the world via a magical veil, and splitting the continent in half, joined by a towering mountain.

I like it, but it's... very silly.

• edited 2012-10-28 23:53:19
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I don't think it's silly, it is however, extremely large in scope. So perhaps not suited for us.

We could do Eberron or something similar? Eb is my favorite setting since you can play on any scale level and it does away with a lot of the Race X is always Alignment Y thing, which is one of the aspects of fantasy in general I've never been totally comfortable with. And also stuff like "A cleanshaven male dwarf is a sure sign of madness, or worse—no one familiar with their race trusts a beardless dwarf." Which is just silly.

But more to the point, whatever you guys want to do is fine as long as it's not like, Dark Sun or something. 

Eberron would require me reading up on a lot of the setting, bluh.

It's the setting DDO takes place in.

Plus I just really meant something Eberron-ish. That is, dungeonpunk.

But again, if y'all have other things you want to play, I don't want to push. 

• edited 2012-10-29 00:01:25

But more to the point, whatever you guys want to do is fine as long as it's not like, Dark Sun or something. 

What's wrong with Dark Sun?

Nova's idea also sounds sort of like what I made up for BtL, except somehow even larger in scope, and more dependent on high-level magic.

Nothing's wrong with it. It's just hard, and I'm new to this whole thing. :/ 

It's also really bleak which I don't care for, but that's not "something wrong with it" per se. 

It's the setting DDO takes place in.

Note that I know nothing about DDO's setting.

Bleak. bleeeeak

Nova's idea also sounds sort of like what I made up for BtL, except somehow even larger in scope, and more dependent on high-level magic.

I swear that I did not steal your idea.