If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

None of the current active IJBM topics interest me

Comments

• And there's less threads about piss and shit and relationships and anime and religion, too!
  • edited 2011-01-15 21:49:37
    Because you never know what you might see.
    ^^ Me too, but that's not all there was in IJBM.

There really weren't that many of those, not compared to a lot of other forums.

^ We still have religion threads...
  • Need to buy some ad space.

WANT TO BITCH? WE GOT A SITE FOR THAT!
  • yea i make potions if ya know what i mean
    "^ We still have religion threads.."

Not nearly as bad though.

Also, it will pick up if we all keep up our efforts to promote the place. I'm hoping Song of Salt will be the first of a NEW BREED of UMer/IJBMer, of course, then I will be able to complain about Saru-Saru-San and have someone know what I'm talking about. But that's not the only reason I want more members from other places.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    I swear I seem to be the only person who didn't see anything all that bad about most of the religion threads in the old IJBM.  Some of them were horrible, and some interesting ones had a few obnoxious posts, but mostly I thought they were interesting and thoughtful.
  • I just didn't bother reading them. I guess that was how I totally missed Falconfly being on tvtropes.
  • They tended to be either the worst or the best things in IJBM. 
    Well you were the one who seemed to be phrasing it as a complaint.

Honestly, Religion as a topic is entirely worn-through for me. I've never been convinced by anyone to change my beliefs, and I've never convinced anyone to change theirs.
  • Didn't Raw Power get converted in OTC one time?
    Raw Power is such a random person that I don't know what he believes, what his nationality is, what he likes to do, or where he stands on the political spectrum.
  • How could you not know he likes Gurren Lagann? Its the one universal constant.
    Oh right, that's the one thing.

Funnybunny: That was a rarity. Not to mention, I didn't help with that at all. I just called him a moronic jackass and got thumped.
  • Can't say I understand Raw Power much either.

I still remember that thread he made about Bayonetta's ASS and how, erm...emotional he was in phrasing its OP.
    Raw Power is a Moroccan ex-Muslim atheist liberal who is obsessed with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Eliezer Yudkowsky.

I wasn't complaining, I was just pointing out that we have religion threads.  TBH, the ones with Falconfly were by far the least interesting, because they were just Falconfly calling religious people morons and claiming that God was evil, and everybody else telling him to STFU.

I have changed my mind loads of times on the forum.  So much so that I've been criticised for it. :/  I guess I'm easily persuaded.
  • edited 2011-01-15 22:22:10
    Cue-bey
    Raw Power is always emotional.

I really liked him. He seemed so much more sincere than other people. he's one of the few things I miss about tvtropes.

I think I'm developing an e-crush.
    I can only aspire to be as confusing as Raw Power.

"I guess I'm easily persuaded."

So am I, but not with things like that, oddly.

That, and Death of the Author. You will never get me to believe that that is a credible stance to take, BUT MOVING ON.
    Hey, here's something I just thought of.

Song of Salt isn't a troper, and never was. What would we refer to him as? UMer? IJBMer?

I think the latter works better.
  • No, let's here your ranting!
  • edited 2011-01-15 22:24:28
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I like the general purpose «forumite», but «IJBMer» is good.

Ranting against Death of the Author?  The English student in me says PLEASE NO JUST NO.
    No, I refuse to speak on the subject, except to say that I think the entire concept is flat-out absurd.
    It really isn't, although you're free to dislike it.
    And dislike it I will.

MOVING ON.
  • DAMMIT PEOPLE POST THINGS.
  • DAMMIT PEOPLE POST THINGS.
  • What's a UMer?

^Win.
  • All I know about Raw Power, I have decided, is that he is not a person, but a family of people, all with access to the same computer.
  • Raw is fun. He had an awesome conversion story, too.

"Raw Power is a Moroccan ex-Muslim atheist liberal who is obsessed with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Eliezer Yudkowsky."

Yeah, pretty much.

"I have changed my mind loads of times on the forum.  So much so that
    I've been criticised for it. :/  I guess I'm easily persuaded."

Could you give an examples?
    Let's see... the most severe one was probably when Tzetze pointed out that my understanding of free will (metaphysical libertarianism, though I didn't know the term at the time) made no sense, and then suddenly it didn't, and I completely freaked out.  It was pretty shameful, TBH, I'm glad that thread's long gone now.  That was a long time ago.

I stopped regarding Canon Sue as a non-trope during my liveblog of Twilight.  Which is kind of funny, because I'd had a lengthy discussion in TRS prior to that where I flat out would not accept that it was a real trope.

Less dramatically, there have of course been plenty of times where somebody has corrected me on a comment I've made.  Minor things, I mean, such as this exchange with Kino.

Most significantly, though: while the forum is not solely responsible for shaping my current philosophical, religious and political views, it has greatly influenced them.  When I joined, I was an enthusiastically but rather ignorantly left wing Christian humanist.  Then I was, for a period of time, an antitheistic anarcho-Communist.  Then I spent a little while as a bitter nihilist, although that coincided with a period when I was feeling pretty miserable IRL so that might not count.

Oh, and UMer = person from Unexplained Mysteries, another forum.
  • edited 2011-01-25 21:29:15
    Thank you for posting that, Bobby. It was interesting to read. I think my own views have been influenced a lot by the forums I discuss things at, too.

One more question, what would you consider yourself to be now?
    Uh.  Very difficult to say.  Elements of utilitarianism, elements of idealism, elements of both atheism and theism, elements of objectivism and subjectivism.  Increasingly, all of these labels feel inadequate.  I daresay somebody more versed in philosophy would be able to pin a more accurate label on me, though I'm uncertain as to whether I'd want that.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in being influenced by forums I visit.