If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Rottweiler got banned

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    IJBM: I didn't get to do Darius-style warnings for Rotty and Leigh.
  • The ban is apparently for the way you phrased things, not your opinions themselves. Dunno for sure though.

Views and bans aside, I'm glad you're here and I wish you the best.
  • that sucks rotti, I hope it isn't a serious issue. 
  • edited 2011-04-24 00:51:22
    Inside, too dark to read
    The ban is apparently for the way you phrased things

In a way it wasn't surprising. I've been a dandy. Behaving as a Christian gentleman in front of middle class liberals was inflammatory when Baudelaire did it, and only gotten more and more so as the Overton window has moved left with each generation.

Thank you for the welcome, sir!
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    The issue here is truly a matter of context, overt displays of gentlemanly behavior is now equated with passive-agressive sarcasm.
  • Hope that you will be well soon, sir
  • edited 2011-04-24 02:13:30
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    HOLY CHEESE LOOK AT ALL I MISSED!

stupid starcraft...

-AHEM-

"It's weirdly heartwarming to see that I inspired a giant thread here.
    And why IS Tongpu's homicidal mania inoffensive while being
    old-fashioned is?"

When someone says "I think it would fine and dandy if humanity were obliterated", people go "oh huh, that's a weird thing to say". It's not offensive just... weird. But when you insult the gay community, it's taken seriously, as opposed to an audacious claim that people are better dead.

Also, I would like to denote that while things are mostly fair, the fact remains that if you are going to run the show and demonstrate unpopular opinions, you MUST be very careful about what you say - more so than anyone else. You are held to a higher standard, and should live up to that. So I shall now cross post what I said from another thread:

YOU SHOULD KNOW AND RESPECT YOUR AUDIENCE.

Don't go insulting them. Even if it is "impersonal", keep in mind that at least 25% of the community is LGBT, and at least 90% is pro-gay. And when you insult something people consider defining of their character, people WILL take it personally.

tl;dr

Please be careful and think.
  • Poot dispenser here
    Yeah, if you want, I can fire off a laundry list of Tropers who I know are more openly LGBT.
  • You really can't see what's wrong with "I'm such a gentleman those narrow-minded liberals can't stand it"?

But besides that, your last few posts amounted to "being an oppressed minority builds character". There's nothing gentlemanly about such a profound lack of empathy, or of being so proud of it.
  • Wellcome to IJBM Rott where tropers come to suffer for their sins.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Welcome, Rottweiler.

Just to get this out of the way: For the most part, I sternly disagree with your opinions and some of your methods of expressing them, but I feel that it is your innate right to speak them.

Which, ironically, I would consider a classic example of a liberal value; you would likely disagree. This is fine.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > In a way it wasn't surprising. I've been a dandy. Behaving as a
    Christian gentleman in front of middle class liberals was inflammatory
    when Baudelaire did it, and only gotten more and more so as the Overton window has moved left with each generation.

For what it's worth, it's because you carry such an arrogant attitude, heavily implying ("behaving as a Christian gentleman") the superiority of your philosophy--which of course is completely consistent with your belief that your philosophy is better than those of others anyway.
  • edited 2011-04-24 10:23:11
    As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    > Stormtroper: The thing is, being a bad debater is not a bannable offense in itself.

True enough, it isn't, at least not on the TVT forum, and probably shouldn't be. But Rottweiler wasn't banned for that.

> Rottweiler: Right. His views don't create a storm of derailing and insulting replies. Old-fashioned beliefs are more offensive to the consensus than his are. Since these involve homicidal nihilism, well...

Tongpu doesn't try to derail threads into arguments about his views. He also doesn't blame everyone else for being disliked, or cop to a persecution complex. Like you're doing right now.

> Glenn:  For what it's worth, it's because you carry such an arrogant attitude, heavily implying ("behaving as a Christian gentleman") the superiority of your philosophy--which of course is completely consistent with your belief that your philosophy is better than those of others anyway.

Ultimately, maybe a silly forum about media isn't the best place to prove to the one guy still holding out the virtues of post-modern civilization.

• So does anyone now want to go through the complex mental gymnastics needed to justify the idea that Beholderess of all people is worse than Tongpu in some mysterious unverifiable way that only people who are on the opposite end of the political scale from her are able to notice, or was Rottweiler the only one who gets that treatment?
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    It's not about better or worse. It's about more or less conductive to the overall goal of having a productive, enjoyable forum. Forum bans aren't moral judgements or a stamp of disapproval on anyone's ideology.
  • Oh, yeah, because telling depressed people to kill themselves is totally not an impediment to having a fun productive forum, while bringing up Gulliver's Travels in a stale, repetitive discussion of the singularity is an unforgivable sin.
  • As a petty and vindictive person, I have to take extra steps not to appear petty and vindictive.
    I'm not saying Tongpu shouldn't be banned. He probably should. But, you know, blabbing about Gulliver's Travels isn't why Rottweiler was banned.
  • edited 2011-04-24 10:44:18
    Yeah, he was banned because he gave extremely subtle insults to people who were bound to hate him anyway.

The preceding statement was a satirical jab at Keysnian economics.
  • True enough, it isn't, at least not on the TVT forum, and probably shouldn't be. But Rottweiler wasn't banned for that.

Nope, but from Fighteer's comments he was banned for threads he posts in turning to crap about his views, which is caused by his debating tactics.

...which I suppose is as good a reason for banning as any. Nevermind me.
  • Rott: The problem, at least as I see it, is you aren't coming across as gentlemanly, but more casually condescending. Your previous statement is a prime example: whether or not you intended it, many will read that post as "I'm a Christian Gentleman, of course those liberals would be offended." If you can't see the condescension in that, then that may be the root of the issue.

I'm not saying that you are totally at fault for the reactions you often get in OTC. Far from it. However, temporary bans like this are meant to serve as a period of introspection for the bannee to look at his or her own behavior, and try to see what they might be doing to contribute to the problem.

If you can find absolutely no fault of your own in all of this, then there may honestly be no help for you. I'm not saying this to attack you, I'm giving you my honest opinion in the hopes that you can make the changes necessary to remain a fixture of the TVTropes community.
  • So does anyone now want to go through the complex mental gymnastics
    needed to justify the idea that Beholderess of all people is worse than
    Tongpu in some mysterious unverifiable way that only people who are on
    the opposite end of the political scale from her are able to notice

To be fair, an argument for that could be made, and this one would be quite interested in hearing it. It might even turn out to be true.
  • edited 2011-04-24 11:19:00
    ~♥YES♥~! I *AM* a ~♥cupcake♥~! ^_^
    "So does anyone now want to go through the complex mental gymnastics
    needed to justify the idea that Beholderess of all people is worse than
    Tongpu in some mysterious unverifiable way that only people who are on
    the opposite end of the political scale from her are able to notice, or
    was Rottweiler the only one who gets that treatment?"

I'm pretty sure that's completely impossible to do without some serious manipulation. Beholderess seems to me to be one of those folk whom everyone likes, regardless of personal opinion. She's described herself as misotheist, which is basically as contrary to a Christian view as possible, but she is still my favorite forum goer.

EDIT: ^Oh hey, speak of the angel. :)

I suppose I could try to think of something like that if wished for me to do so.

I do requests.
    • She refers to herself as "this one", implicitly supporting the use of "This Troper" in mainspace.
    • Her handle makes people think "beholderess" is an actual word.
    • She posts in the Russian thread, you can't prove she's not insulting other tropers.
    • Her signature is creepy.
    • A good argument can be made for her banning, she just said so.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    Wait. Beholderess was banned?! When the fuck did this happen?!?!
  • She wasn't, I'm just wikilawyering.

You're referring to my post, right?
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Yes. Now I am stupid.

Were she banned, however... I would feel almost personally offended. She's one of the most polite people on the entire forum.
  • edited 2011-04-24 11:48:03
    La vie en rose
    Oh, yeah, because telling depressed people to kill themselves is totally not an impediment to having a fun productive forum

I think you're missing the point. First off, Tongpu does not spout his views in places like Yack Fest where telling depressed people to kill themselves would indeed impede a productive forum (if he has, feel free to show me the post and I'll revise my position). He hangs out in OTC where that kind of thing is meant to be discussed. Can it lead to less suffering and/or greater happiness if a depressed person kills herself? If you dig serious discussions (and presumably you do if you spend time in OTC), this is the kind of question that contributes to a fun and productive forum.

I'll say it right now--I'm a big fan of Tongpu's posts. I think he is rigorously logical, very precise in his words, and occasionally darkly hilarious. And almost always right. It perplexes me how much people hate him and think he should be banned (at least for the same reasons other people get banned from TVTropes). Sorry that I keep asking the question, and I promise that it isn't rhetorical: can you show me a post of his you think is banworthy? After reading 150 or so posts I have seen one thump and mod edit, so I know the objectionable stuff (objectionable as far as keeping the forum fun and productive) is there in some capacity. But it's rare.
  • JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere
    ^ I actually agree. While I can understand the dislike of Tongpu, I definitely disagree with it; he's pithy in the best way possible.
  • "Rott: The problem, at least as I see it, is you aren't coming across as gentlemanly, but more casually condescending."

Condescension and a superiority feeling are important parts of being a gentleman. Gotta fight these Godless egalitarian deMOCKratic ideals that are responsible for the mercantilist, degenerate state of our society.

Or something. 
  • «So does anyone now want to go through the complex mental gymnastics needed to justify the idea that Beholderess of all people is worse than Tongpu in some mysterious unverifiable way that only people who are on the opposite end of the political scale from her are able to notice, or was Rottweiler the only one who gets that treatment?»

The fuck?  Beholderess wasn't banned and nobody was saying anything about that.  She left the forum in protest.  Which is fully within her rights.