If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    > DOT MATRIX WITH STEREO SOUND
    > da-ding!
    > theme song in 8-bit form
    > monochrome version of animé intro, even though I haven't seen said intro before
    > title screen with "-PRESS START-"
    > fadeout of screen with fadeout of battery light

Holy mackerel, this is win.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Just finished re-reading Changes so that I can finally get around to reading Ghost Story.  I still get chills at the end when [Harry kills Susan].

So, in other news, I just finished Ghost Story, and for now all I can say is that, out of any book I've read, it's easily the most deserving of a visual media adaptation

Even more than Changes?  Because holy shit Changes would be awesome in live action or animated.
  • edited 2011-11-23 11:11:36
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I've found a whole bunch of IJBMers on Google+, but there's one that I've added that I'm not too sure on (I think it's Stormtroper, though), and one that pretty much has me stumped. I don't want to give their names in plain view, so could someone please PM me telling me who they are?

^ Much more so, believe it or not. It would be a much more difficult adaptation, though, regardless of the media in question.
  • You can change. You can.
    I keep thinking yoou guys are talking about Ghost World for some reason. >:|

Anyway, I've been meaning too try the Dresden Files, but bleh not willing or able to by from Amazoon just yet. And I hate translations. 

In the meantime, I'll have hellblazer to comfort me.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^^ Oh wow.

^ DO IT FAGET

It's honestly probably my favorite book series at this point.  Maybe second favorite.

(as if my handle wasn't a big enough hint)
  • edited 2011-11-23 11:17:14
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

(i'm so sorry)
    You can send a copy if you want. :p

Nah, I'll wait till my birthday, i suppose.
    guh, got a headache the size of the world and have to work

see you, guise
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    See you later, Juan.
    Feel better bro.
  • edited 2011-11-23 11:42:29
    Now that I've caught up on some Google+ posts, let me just say that I'm sorry about the moderation stalemate that happened with the dicks drama. I apologize especially to INUH, since I was basically in agreement with him by the end of mod deliberations and didn't think to act on my own.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Eh, it's no problem.

FYI, if I've acted stressed at any point since, say, late September, that's probably just meatspace stuff bleeding in.
  • edited 2011-11-23 11:47:59
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Gonna be driving to Philadelphia today for Thanksgiving. This will be fun...
    ^^^ Eh, what's done is done. Nothing we can do about it now. All we can really do is try to do our best next time.

(I hope there is not a next time)

^ Ouch.
    Hope you make it, hope you like the turkey, etc

Bah, my ride is getting too late. OTOH, headache is gone :D

On the other other hand, stomach-ache is in. D:
    Argh, parents are picking me up in an hour.
  • edited 2011-11-23 13:15:24
    What is up with amateur writers and writing rape scenes? I mean, it's a dead serious issue and they treat it so casually.
    A lot of skill goes into writing a rape scene that won't be terrible.

Sadly, the most basic one, and thus the first mistake an amateur makes, is knowing when writing a rape scene would be an awful idea.
     I mean, it's a dead serious issue and they treat it so casually.

Funnily enough, I think the reason they use is precisely because it's a serious issue which easily adds gravitas and causes sympathy on the characters. 

They fail at it because they think of it as something you can just add and that's it, automatic sympathy.

Just signed up at the local gym and picked up my first debit card.

Woot.
  • edited 2011-11-23 13:24:48

"Funnily enough, I think the reason they use is precisely because it's a serious issue which easily adds gravitas and causes sympathy on the characters."

It's concerning that people write stories like a high school assignment. "Include this and you'll meet that requirement. Follow the template just right for full marks."

That format makes for shit writing from postsecondary onward.

• edited 2011-11-23 13:30:19
    I can't think of any good excuse for writing a rape scene merely for the sake of audience reaction. There's:

1. When a person thinks it's a good way to get sympathy, without realizing it's a dead giveaway that they're a shit writer who didn't try hard enough.

2. They know they're a shit writer and think they need some way to get sympathy, without realizing it's a dead giveaway that they're a shit writer who didn't try hard enough.

3. They get off on writing rape, in which case they shouldn't be showing their writing to other people and might possible need help, depending on why they feel the need to write this.
    I hate gyms. I prefer doing my exercise at home or outdoors. >_>

It's concerning that people write stories like a high school assignment. "Include this and you'll meet that requirement. Follow the template just right for full marks."

It's not exactly that mindset. It's more the mindset of "This thing *always* works this way."

They look a like, but the fundamental difference is that one of these thinks of writing as something with requirements, which not even amateur writers think like. Hopefully.
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    I don't think there are that many who look at checklists when writing, but there are definitely too many who don't understand the most basic audience expectations and shouldn't be writing for audiences until they attain a better understanding of that.
  • 3. They get off on writing rape, in which case they shouldn't be showing their writing to other people and might possible need help, depending on why they feel the need to write this.

nope

• edited 2011-11-23 13:57:29
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    3. They get off on writing rape, in which case they shouldn't be showing their writing to other people and might possible need help, depending on why they feel the need to write this.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

Anyway, just bought Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for ten bucks on Steam.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I remember Grant Morrison chastising the comics industry for it's love of rape scenes. He even claimed he never wrote a rape scene, even though he totally has. To be fair, he's never had one in his superhero comics.

Rape is of course sexual and that makes it easier for writers to give it to women for instant tragedy.

It's one of those things like Nazis and religious controversy that I find hack shorthand for getting attention.
    blah blah masochism is problematic blah blah morality issues blah blah relativism blah blah
  • No rainbow star
    ^ blah blah juan says blah blah blah blah some sort of statement blah blah

:D?
  • edited 2011-11-23 14:07:31
    "I'm not sure I agree with that."

I used "might", "possibly", and "depending" to indicate that it varies from person to person; one's motivations for writing a rape scene might be reflective of a greater problem than in the case of another. I would look from person to person to guess their motives; if they're really creepy to begin with, that would worry me.