If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I don't want to say 'never use rape in stories' but too many people run to it as an option too easily and too lightly.

I generally make it a rule not to use it.
  • edited 2011-11-23 14:08:26
    ^^ But one's motivations for doing anything at all might be reflective of a greater problem than someone who does the same thing.  It's not like writing rape scenes is unique in that regard.
  • edited 2011-11-23 14:23:41
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I don't think I've ever written a rape scene, and even if one of my stories reached a point where the rape of a character is plausible, I'd try to avoid it because I don't have the intestinal fortitude to portray something like that.

Then again, I find the entire idea of adding a rape scene for instant sympathy to be really skeevy anyway.

^ No, it's not unique, but rape is more reprehensible than most acts that one can write, so it's more worrisome if the writer has some sort of fixation on the act he's writing. It's an unlikelihood, of course, but if I thought that someone was creepy to begin with and I knew they wrote something like that, I'd be very weirded out.

^^ That's pretty much the biggest problem, yeah.
  • They're somethin' else.
    A rape scene can be done well. However, its hilariously rare.
  • edited 2011-11-23 14:38:45
    I guess my previous posts were a little reactionary, but they were meant to convey that my opinion is "you'd better have a damn good reason for writing this scene, and any reason that's less than damn good won't cut it". In other words, the sentiments that had been previously expressed, but harsher and less forgiving.
    It's immensely frustrating to see people get so ridiculously defensive when I say that maybe stories with Batman and The Flash that kids read in them shouldn't have so much rape in them.
  • You can change. You can.
    Honestly, I kinda wish DC allowed Vertigo to do mainstream suuperhero stories. That way, I can keep all the pseudo edgy stuff away from my fun stories about the fastest man in the world.
    But superheroes aren't for little kid anymore maaaan.
  • You can change. You can.
    *maaaaaaang

It's not stoner lingo without the g

So I've decreed
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    I'm bored again,tell me something to draw again shittily
    Ugh. As much as I'd like to read more Mirai Nikki, the translator sucks and he's an /a/sshat. Keep your memes out of my manga.
    ^mangafox has a pretty decent traslation
    That's the translation I'm reading. Blugh. I'll just wait until further episodes of the anime are out.
  • The next time my family goes to an amusement park, I'm going to go online first and look up all the injuries and deaths that have occurred there, then casually recite them in the car on the way there.

I'm sure that when we get there, everyone will be eager to go on all the scariest-looking rides they can find! >:D
  • ^ " when we get there..."

> implying you won't be left by the side of the road on the way for completely annoying everyone with a recital of horrific deaths and injuries.

• Got compliments from the seminar teach on my research proposal. Just a little shaving and I can start on my thesis. :)

Ok, read up to the Wedding rehersal And as much as AMVs annoy me, I'm tempted to make one when the first season of the anime's over XD bloodsplatter and all

What song would make it absolutely fucked up? I'm thinking "Unforgettable You"

hmm... but Watchmen already used that for Soundtrack Dissonance :V
  • Well obviously I'll offer to drive. That way they can't get rid of me, because we'll be in my own car.
  • ^ Fiendishly cunning, CA.
  • AHRAHR
    edited 2011-11-23 18:11:29
    Dammit. Missed the rape discussion.

3. They get off on writing rape, in which case they shouldn't be showing their writing to other people and might possible need help, depending on why they feel the need to write this.

This reminds me of a time someone found Cakman's writing book, and wrote over it, saying (very nicely) that he needed some help. Since he clearly had some "pent up frustrations".

Ahahaha. Aaaaah.

...I'll shut up now.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Does anyone here have the first Fallout?
  • edited 2011-11-23 18:35:03
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    An Irish pub is opening in my neighborhood right after my semester ends. My dad's in the owner's jogging group, and asked her about jobs. She gave him her card to give to me; apparently, I can legally do any job there except bartending. It's literally two blocks from my house, which would make it very convenient.
    At my uncle's.

So many kittiiiiiiies!
  • edited 2011-11-23 20:57:48
    Reading 1984. I'm having a lot of fun dissecting it; I'm on page 74 and I already have nearly a full page of typed notes.
  • Yes, 1984 can be interesting. I didn't know its biggest target was actually the U.K. rather than the U.S.S.R. at the time of reading, for one thing.

What does your analysis say anyway?

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I loved 1984. I should read it again now that I'm not being forced.
  • I actually read it of my own accord. At the very least, now I can get the pop culture references.

Also, be glad you weren't forced to read Atlas Shrugged.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    None of the libraries in my area have 1984. :(

>Also, be glad you weren't forced to read Atlas Shrugged.

My sincerest condolences.
  • Eh, I read that of my own accord too, albeit simply so people couldn't accuse me of not reading it whenever I call it a steaming pile of goatshit. Doesn't make it any less horrible.

Admittedly, I don't know of any schools that do make people read it, but I had a suspicion since it had a SparkNotes page.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    "What does your analysis say anyway?"

It's split into three categories; the first two (Important Observations and Winston's character traits) are more there so that I might have things to refer to when writing an essay and have a stronger thesis, and the third is plot synopsis, so that I might keep the details clearer in my head.

So far, the most analysis that I've done is to notice that the Party's doublethink propaganda is remarkably pervasive, even when not being explicitly referred to as doublethink in the narrative.

I wouldn't go as far as to call it "analysis" at this point; the dissection and note-taking, while fun, are primarily for the sake of having more to work with for an essay I'm going to have to write; if I just read a book through, I find that I lose perspective.

Finished Part 1, by the way.