If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

This week in ink!

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Next time someone says that comics crashed because of lol Liefeld, I'm gonna rub this on their face.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Liefeld was also a big part of the movement of creators' rights.

• They're somethin' else.

Alright, so I recently came across this blog. It's probably old news to you folks, but wow, this shit actually slides in the world of comics?

It's not really fundamentally different than sexism in movies/TV/cartoons/et al. 

but uh yeah, editors have weird standards of beauty. 

• edited 2013-02-20 00:21:20
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

It's not really fundamentally different than sexism in movies/TV/cartoons/et al. 

It's kind of worsened by the fact that comics publishers only seem to want to market to teenage boys who have been reading comics for decades (unless they're doing a big reboot event, in which case it's just teenage boys in general).

I'm confused as to how this differentiates it from video games.

I'll grant that at least novels, film, and Tv have about a fifth of the market interested in women.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^Videogames try to get new players outside specific self-contained events. (not saying that comics aren't accessible, but they're marketed as though they aren't most of the time)

They still pretty much only market to the aforementioned teenage boy market though.

It's kind of worsened by the fact that comics publishers only seem to want to market to teenage boys who have been reading comics for decades (unless they're doing a big reboot event, in which case it's just teenage boys in general).

Is that better than narratives targeting females based on stereotypes like Twilight?

They still pretty much only market to the aforementioned teenage boy market though.

Yeah, but this teenage boy isn't expected to have been playing videogames for decades.

Is that better than narratives targeting females based on stereotypes like Twilight?

The difference is, it doesn't take all that much effort to find a novel that isn't doing that.

^Yeah but I don't obsession with continuity is the problem for this particular thing. I mean you can jump on Dead or Alive at any installment.

• The difference is, it doesn't take all that much effort to find a novel that isn't doing that.

Well, they are not reallly comparable markets because of how cheap books are compared to everything. I mean, I'm sure there's a variety of webcomics aimed at women, and I'm sure at least one of them must be doing it right.

• edited 2013-02-20 01:54:50
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^That...is my point?

^We aren't talking about webcomics. We're talking about comic books.

The difference is, it doesn't take all that much effort to find a novel that isn't doing that.

Yeah but my point is that sexism in comics is still just as sexist as sexism in vidya/film/what-have-you.

It's just that in each medium, due to expectations and prominency, it morphs and changes. Like, sexism in comics and video games is something that happens mostly in the form of the character design, whereas sexism in movies and TV mostly involves the character acting like stereotypes.

That isn't to say that movies/TV women are never scantily clad or that comics/vidya women are never stereotypes, obviously, but simply that the most predominant forms of misoginy across mediums changes due to the fact that well, Film/TV/novels have had time to progress outside of their vacuum while vidya/comics are just starting to get out of it and even then, they still have the same treatment TV and film got at the beginning of the century (You know, poor man's entertaiment, anti-intellectuality accusations, and so on)

And even then, let's say you're in a bookstore where they sell twilight books. (So you're in a bookstore, basically. :P) Obviously if you want a book that doesn't do the shit Twilight does, you simply browse the shelves and find something that catches your eye. It's not like you can't do the same on comic book shops. Hell, most of the time, they got the titles divided by publisher so that you don't have to go through DC's and Marvel's stuff (Which is not necessarily sexist, but often is)

I mean, obviously, what you mean is that it's harder to know about a title that doesn't do that without going to a comic book store. And even then, I think Marvel and DC have managed to step up on that regard. I mean, KSD's Captain Marvel has been exceptionally well promoted for a comic book starring a character who has never had a film appeareance featuring a starting cast of mostly original characters. DC...uh well, Justice League did manage to sell a million copies (When the average monthly release sells a quarter of that). That's gotta count for something.

There are obviously many issues with the way comic books are marketed (say duh) but there's been a lot of improvement on Marvel's part and DC did do pretty good with the whole New 52 stuff back when it started, even if it kept off a lot of long-time readers.

I also think there are more components to how comic books are marketed and why they fail at it than the fact that they market them to "teenage boys". Like, say, the fact that the international DC/Marvel demand is way much bigger than their supply. If only because their supply is practically speaking zero in most countries in terms of monthly floppies. I know TPBs ocassionally get over other countries but from what I've seen they're barely if ever translated.

So yeah, I dunno. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that I hate how often blogs like echergirls are used by people as a reason to stay away from comics and acting as if the fact that comics are problematic is something unique to them and not to society as a whole. (And I say that as someone who fucking loves that blog and is acquainted with its mod)

And then, I became the Alex.

I mean, obviously, what you mean is that it's harder to know about a title that doesn't do that without going to a comic book store

Yeah.

I see where you're coming from. I guess basically different mediums are at different places from an industry perspective right now, and this has various effects on their content, marketing, and perception, of which this is one.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Can we not use terms like "vidya" when we're at least attempting to be serious?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Nope.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

It's shorter than video games and you know what I mean. Probably should've used VG, though.

• We aren't talking about webcomics. We're talking about comic books.

The point was to compare mediums' focus when you take account their production costs. The less something costs to produce and make profitable (this is related to stuff like market size), the easier is to make one that caters to particular subsets of the population, which is why its easier to find books not catered to adolescent males than big profile comicbooks, AAA videogames, and summer blockbusters. Stuff like Persepolis still exists, though.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^^ What's your point?

^^Oh. Fair enough, then.

• Hey asslicks, I think I might be getting another job soon doing art for a comic!

I'll come back with more details if it all goes through.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Congratulations fuckass?

• Did you just call me a fuckass? You can go suck a fuck.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

suck a fuck ehehehe

• Fine.

Congratulations, you bastard.

• No no no, you're supposed to say "Oh, please, tell me, Formaldehyde, how exactly does one suck a fuck?"

Thanks on the congrats, guys.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Hey comic book peoples! I'm here, posting in your thread...

Young Avengers 02 #1 & #2: The new art is really nice. Though I liked the old art better, looked sharper.

They're really hammering in how young and hip this is. Aside from the Scott Pilgrim cover the scene where Hulking and Wiccan talk like this about being gay boyfriends was embarrassing to read. And they've replaced the "Previously" page with a tumblr knockoff which is really bad (especially the memes on the side >_>).

V2 handles Teddy and Billy's relationship better, much better.

Then we get to the plot, where Billy is like "Hey, I'll bring back Teddy's mom without the appropriate emotional buildup let alone that this is just first issue." and he's not even a bit concerned when he manages to do it. Though I'm glad that when he realizes something's wrong he instantly tries to right it.

Kid Loki will be annoying (and will fix things cause he's a literal god and it will be annoying), Miss America seems sort of promising.

Nice Nuance Things: Teddy standing in the corner as Billy tries to fix things is a nice look into his state of mind.

Iffy things: They seem to have changed Hawkeye's characterization a bit with how casual she was about waking up in space? Did I miss something?

A Question To You People Who Actually Read A Lot Of Comics: This dimension hopping stuff does make sense right?