If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Legend Of Zelda.

Comments

• Because you never know what you might see.
    So let me see if I've got this right:

>Chagen creates thread bashing popular video game franchise and its fans
    >Fans express dislike at being insulted
    >Chagen strawmans fans, insults them further
    >Fans collectively ಠ_ಠ
    >Chagen flounces, creates thread about how persecuted he feels

That about the long and short of it?

Chagen, I'll be frank with you - I understand that you hated the games, and I understand they aren't to your tastes.  I just don't care, because I enjoyed them myself.  You don't have to throw a strop just because other people like a video game that you don't.
  • edited 2011-04-28 03:51:44
    No rainbow star
    ^^ A WILD ELECTIVIRUS!

Anyways, Chagen, to be fair, when the series has an entry (Ocarina of Time) that has held onto best game of all time for as long as it has, well, you're going to be torn into pretty hard without explaining clearly. What exactly about the battles is more stale than other long runners?
  • Personally, I like the combat of LoZ. The one thing I don't like is that you tend to get a lot of redundant items. I almost never use my bow, boomerang, or other items in combat because they have limited uses, my sword doesn't, and the sword gets the job done quicker. I think the games would be quite a bit better if you mostly got upgrades for your items, rather than some thing you're never going to use outside the dungeon you get it. The Spinning Top from Twilight Princess is a great example of this.

Once again, the boss battles in TP were fantastic. I might have to get a copy just so I can play those bosses again.
  • edited 2011-04-28 04:02:54
    Because you never know what you might see.
    I like the combat in Zelda because it's intuitive yet involving.  The controls are easy to master (no bizarre button combinations to memorise), but you still have a decent variety of available moves, more as the series goes along, and you still get to actually fight the enemies rather than just selecting options from a menu screen.  It's fun.

Regarding TP's Spinner, I think it would have been so much cooler and more useful if that thing could accelerate, rather than just losing momentum and falling over.  Still a refreshingly original item, though.
  • edited 2011-04-28 04:08:49
    Pony Sleuth
    Combat was pretty awesome, but I think a lot of the minor enemies came to be more of a nuisance than a challenge.

In the 3D games, I mean. In the 2D ones it was plenty of fun to plow through weak enemies. I guess that's probably because it can get annoying to have to change camera angles and slow your pace if you want to kill something.
  • Because you never know what you might see.
    Mm... I found that the combat was more enjoyable in the 3D games, though, particularly TP.  Minish Cap's combat was pretty great, but the earlier 2D games struck me as comparatively limiting in that regard.

In general I preferred the 3D games because I liked the atmosphere.  The illusion of an expansive secondary world really enhanced the "epic heroic fantasy" flavour of the series for me.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I guess I can see the complaints about the combat.

It is somewhat justified in earlier games- in that, there's only so many buttons on the controllers, and if you didn't happen to have the exact item you'd need to fight an enemy assigned to one, you'd probably get rather annoyed.

I see the point, though.

I would have preferred the shield to be more necessary in combat, at least -_-;
  • Anyone else find out you can cut down on the reduced speed dramatically if you hop to the side when you wear the iron boots?
  • Strafejumping: Not just for FPS games any more.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    ^^ Not just in the iron boots. It's quicker to strafe through Hyrule Field than to walk it. Minus the peahats, of course.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    I prefer just calling Epona.
  • I sometimes have a hard time telling whether stuff like that actually makes you go faster or if it's just an illusion. Sort of like how it feels like you're going faster if you keep rolling repeatedly.
    Reminds me of how my default method of movement in Morrowind is jumping...
  • Me too. With scrolls of icarian flight!
  • Any game that gives you XP for jumping around is just begging for it.
  • Guys, I "flounced" because it was midnight and I had exams the next day. Jesus.
  • Any game that lets you jump over mountains is awesome
  • edited 2011-04-28 06:59:55
    Pony Sleuth
    Well we can't know that, and I think part of it was because you flounced to another thread instead of keeping it in this one?

Anyway, let's keep this on-topic instead of about you.
  • And to be honest, I raged because I'm sick of fans lauding the games like they're the second coming of Jesus amd then screaming at me when I don't like them.

Given the way gamers praise this series, I was expecting nothing less than an orgasm made tangible and put on a disk. And I didn't.

Never mind that I don't even like the ways the games play. But the fans keep screaming about how objectively good they supposedly are.

Hype Backlacsh, people.
    The same could apply to any of the things you like, too, Chagen.

Take Homestuck, for example :\

This is why the Your Mileage May Vary trope was made.
  • You're the only one screaming here, Chagen. You really ought to be embarrassed at your display here.

Hey, can you ban someone from a thread?

Anyway, what's the news on the upcoming games? I haven't been paying much attention to video game news lately, but I remember they're making Skyward Sword for the Wii. I also heard OoT is coming for the 3DS. Is that system getting anything besides remakes and Wind Waker sequels?
    No news that I can find, sorry.
  • Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    Must.... Not... Kill... Chagen....
  • edited 2011-04-28 08:01:59
    I raged because I'm sick of fans lauding the games like they're the second coming of Jesus amd then screaming at me when I don't like them. 

So.... You're pissed because Fans like the game?

You ARE aware Fan is short for Fanatic? Right? And you know what fanatic means right?

So... fans like things beyond reason. Who knew? One might say Fan(atics) are fanatical about the things they are fan(atical) of.
  • No, I'm pissed because they won't shut about them and act like no one could ever dislike them, and then the whole "second coming of Jesus" thing.

And then they say you have bad taste when you don't like them. And then when you say that taste is subjective, they scream about how you're wrong.

Glenn, lock this please. I'm not letting Gelzo and Cygan spit in my face and laugh while I'm down.
  • edited 2011-04-28 11:49:40
    Writer, Artist, Obscure.
    No Chagen, you need to be more freaking respectable with your opinion. It's so annoying how you're taking a Confused matthew "Boohoo, I'm so confused, why does EVERYONE like this and I don't! Clearly there's something wrong with THEM!" approach. Get over yourself you grandeur delusional self-centered whiner.

Mod edit: Was this really necessary?
  • Again, so you're pissed, that fans are acting like fans?
    "No, I'm pissed because they won't shut about them and act like no one could ever dislike them,"

Just like fans of every single series in existence then?
  • And what does this being common fan behavior have to do with annoying.
This discussion has been closed.