If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM D&D game! (discussion)

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yes. That's why I didn't try to roll for damage at all; I stated that the skeleton went to attack, and rolled the attack roll.

Nom Lam's readied action doesn't kick in until the skeleton attacks, so the skeleton did need to attack before Nom Lam's attack kicked in. It would interrupt the attack before it could land, though (assuming that the skeleton didn't survive, at least).

I don't know about your readied attack, though.

Maybe I shouldn't have rolled the attack roll, but that's what I ended up deciding to do.

• Well, I just did my attack (and my rolls didn't add the modifiers). As for readied actions, the rules are as follows:

You can only ready a standard, move or swift action (unless an ability specifies otherwise).

You take your action right before the trigger.

Your initiative is moved right before the triggering creature's for the following rounds.

• edited 2012-11-18 23:24:00
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hmm. I readied my action with the intent of still acting after Nom Lam; he swings at a skeleton first, and, whether or not he takes it out, I go after the next one.

I forgot about the exact conditions of Nom Lam's readied action, though, so was this supposed to happen?: skeleton moves to the space that triggers Djanain's action --> Djanain attacks --> if it's a miss or a failure to kill, the skeleton presumably attacks --> this triggers Nom Lam's attack; if Djanain gets a kill shot, Nom Lam attacks the next skeleton that attacks him in melee. But it doesn't really matter to me, as long as I can attack something at some point.

• Yes, you're right, you should be doing the attack roll first. If you miss/don't kill the skeleton, then it's still business as usual, if not, then another skeleton would've taken that spot anyway.

• edited 2012-11-18 23:23:22

Fair enough. On that note, I'd be fine with just going after the next one, since you've already rolled your attack.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well, I actually didn't consider your post, as you hadn't stated it as a readied action like Noimporta had.

The further consideration I have was that you could not have one-shotted the skeleton (without a critical hit, which I'd forgotten about); you can deal a maximum of 1d6 damage a round, while the skeleton has more health than that.

Basically, you're still free to roll an attack roll on the skeletor before it attacks, as the skeleton is not dead yet.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Is it my turn now?

Allow Everest to roll, and then it's your turn.

• edited 2012-11-18 23:30:52

Well, I actually didn't consider your post, as you hadn't stated it as a readied action like Noimporta had.

I figured it was implied, but I can make it more clear next time.

The further consideration I have was that you could not have one-shotted the skeleton (without a critical hit, which I'd forgotten about); you can deal a maximum of 1d6 damage a round, while the skeleton has more health than that.

Well, to be fair, it's 1d6+1 now, from using my arcane pool as a swift action. :P

But I wouldn't have guessed it had more. Did you roll out their health totals individually?

Also, since the skeleton took 7 damage (btw, Noim, the dice roller will account for the static bonus if you don't space out the roll; put it in as 1d20+4, 1d6+4, etc.), I'm assuming it's dead?

one thing to ask, does the reach atribute make my diagonal attacks to be 10ft in range or are they still 5ft?

• edited 2012-11-18 23:33:54
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I figured it was implied, but I can make it more clear next time.

That would be appreciated; I'm often trying to do other things as well, and I get confused when things aren't laid out clearly.

Also, since the skeleton took 7 damage (btw, Noim, the dice roller will account for the static bonus if you don't space out the roll; put it in as 1d20+4, 1d6+4, etc.), I'm assuming it's dead?

Nope.

(Skeletors do have a Hit Die of d12, in my defence, and they're not at maxed health.)

^ 10 feet, I think.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Huh. For some reason I thought they got downgraded to a d8.

• Yeah, it's ten. It's a specific exception of the "2 diagonal squares = 15 feet" rule.

loooooooooooooooool

Yo' move, vandro.

• edited 2012-11-18 23:36:35
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

All nines: They did, in Pathfinder. I upped it to d12 in the hopes of it still providing some measure of challenge to you without either mobbing you with five times as many enemies or providing really powerful enemies yet.

Didn't work out as hoped, but it's a learning experience.

• edited 2012-11-18 23:39:04
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

So my attack range looks like

X_X_X
    _____
    X_O_X
    _____
    X_X_X 

Or something?

• edited 2012-11-18 23:39:21

^^ In your defense, I think the doorway made this battle very different, too. I mean, if we'd all been out in the open and been surrounded by twice as many skeletons, even a d8 hit die (or, like >4 HP in general) could have been pretty challenging, if not problematic.

^ Pretty much.

Well, hopefully it'll be a bit different now, with the map currently looking like this:

(Man, sorry for the suckiness of my map-drawing skills.)

Well, fuck, I'll have to redo my post.

Sorry.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

What's goin' on, y'all?

I'm playing DungeonCrawl Stone Soup but I can put in a post if I need to.

also did my Magic Missile ever hit or what?

Hrm.

It actually did hit. Which means that Nom Lam's attack should have finished off the skeleton, and Djanain's attack was pointless.

So I guess I'll go edit my posts accordingly and go to the corner of shame.

(I shouldn't try to post when as tired as I have been for the last few days.)

And I think we're waiting on Hobbes now. With that skeleton down, y'all are at an impasse with the skeletons currently.

A good impasse or a bad impasse?

Also it's fine, Nova. People are sleepzy. It happens.

An impasse where the skeleton can shoot bolts at Nom Lam, and you can shoot Magic Missiles at it, and that's pretty much it unless you start shooting at angles or the melee characters move in.

• edited 2012-12-01 14:33:40

So, in light of your edits, is the initiative order now:

Rede
    Thevel
    Djanain
    Nom Lam
    Skeletons
    Zoras
    Hobbes

So should I simply step back to let the meleers charge in? I don't really want to get Rede in close range combat.

• edited 2012-11-19 01:23:47

^^No, Djanain and Nom Lam go before the skeletons.

^ Move in after them, I guess? Personally, I'd just let Hobbes charge in, as Hobbes could annihilate the whole lot of them and is probably your toughest melee character.

Hmm. Maybe I'm getting confused. When I check the rules, it says that when you ready an action, your initiative moves to the spot where you took the action, so I guess I'm confused as to whether or not we're counted as going before or after the skeletons, if we interrupted them. Also, would that mean Djanain is ahead now?