If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBM D&D game! (discussion)

Comments

• edited 2012-11-04 00:22:58
    Has friends besides tanks now

dogs?

Hey, Halfling Lancers were very efficient in 3.5, what with their ability to enter the same spaces as the rest of the party. :P

Camels don't make much sense, though. Unless you're a Lazylord or something and don't want to be near the battle in the first place.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I'd advise pouring through the D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder Monster Manuals, you're bound to find something with mount rules.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Camels don't make much sense, though. Unless you're a Lazylord or something and don't want to be near the battle in the first place.

Or you just want to see the look on your enemie's faces when you're charging them down with a lance in hand, on a camel.

I'd advise pouring through the D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder Monster Manuals, you're bound to find something with mount rules.

I know what creatures can be mounted (technically, any creatures one or more size larger than you).

Griffins are actually fairly common mounts for Paladins, when GM's allow them. A lot of players of Paladins like to ride Griffins because they're a cross between lions and eagles- very majestic creatures, befitting a Paladin.

Other common mounts include dragons (yes, some Paladins ride dragons, particularly Gold dragons or Brass dragons), unicorns, and pegasi.

At the moment, I'm trying to find something that's not too fantastic, around equal with the Warhorse in power, but less eminently dislikable than a horse.

Yeah but some creatures have a specific block next to them about why they might make good mounts.

Though the only example that comes to mind is the hilariously stupid Sea Tiger. 

• edited 2012-11-04 00:52:36
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I finished Rede's heavily revised backstory and personality. I really, really do apologize for the length here, but keep in mind this is after cutting over half of it.

Rede knows nothing of her life before she was found, abandoned on a street corner in Stormreach, by an elderly Kobold Oracle named Rokl'Ur. Rede was adopted after much debate into Rokl'Ur's Clan, the Winclaws. The Windclaws Kobolds were not a particularly powerful clan, especially among the many more powerful, aggressive, often shaman-led Kobold Clans that controlled most of Stormreach's sewers. As such, Rede grew up in perhaps the unlikliest of situations--a Half-Elf raised by Kobolds. Rede grew used to doing work for the Clan, and indeed sometimes stealing if they were low on food. But she grew to excel in the role of defending the Windclaws from rival clans, in particular, the brutal Wormtooths.
    The Wormtooths were infamous, being more a gang of thugs than a true Kobold Clan, and not being lead by a Sorcerer or Oracle, as is traditional (lead instead by the Fighter Rog'Hhk), they terrorized not only their fellow Kobolds, but most of the denizens of the Stormreach underground. The city's guards were unwilling to help, since the only victims of the Wormtooths tended to be Kobolds, Goblins, Troglodytes, Half-Orcs, Warforged, and so on. The scum of society in the opinion of many of the more civilized races.

This relates us to Rede discovering her latent magical bloodline. The Windclaws came under attack and were being badly beaten by the Wormtooths. Even Rede, normally a competent defender, had had her crude weapons knocked aside by the Wormtooth's Warrior Chieftan. In desperation, Rede grabbed a nearby stick and knocked the Kobold on the side of the head with it. To her own surprise, and certainly we must assume, the Chieftan's, a crackle of electricity ran up the makeshift club, knocking the Chieftan dead. This was the first manifestation of what would later become her Elemental Ray ability.

This stick was later fashioned into a proper club by Rede's friend, the Warforged weaponsmith Eluceron. The ingraving was not something she asked for, but she is rather fond of it.
    The Wormtooths, for theirs, fled in panic and have not been seen since. Rede for her part, was trained as a Sorcerer in the Kobold tradition--and given the surname Klizzoser, Kobold Draconic for "Spark-Finger". When the shamans taught her all they could, she left to seek more knowledge on her own. Rede considers herself a friend of the marginalized in general, and tends to butt heads with her Half-Elf kin particularly often over the subject. 
    Some see Rede as carrying herself in too high an esteem, but she tries to keep a good humor about herself, though she doesn't always succeed. She is, ultimately, curious about her own powers and seeks to use them for the benefit of the oppressed.

I feel this fits in more with the Chaotic Good archetype anyway. Also if there's anything I need to modify to make it work with the larger mythology here, let me know. But I do want the general story to remain the same. 

And the contacts and enemies, respectively.

Rokl'Ur Kiezo: Kobold Oracle
    Uzu Klupt: Kobold Bard
    Iold Blmfirz: Kobold Ranger
    Eluceron The Smith: Warforged Artisan

Rog'Hhk Khurnzkttl: Kobold Fighter (Deceased)
    Zuguz Khurnzkttl: Kobold [  ] 

No I mean just like a general name. Are these ruined areas called "The [something]s" or something like that?

I meant just like a general name.

"The Abandonds" or something. But don't use that one, cuz it's stupid. 

And the site has decided to go wonky on me. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

The Windclaws Kobolds were not a particularly powerful clan, especially among the many more powerful, aggressive, often shaman-led Kobold Clans that controlled most of Stormreach's sewers.

Just a note; the city is called Evermor, and huge, huge swathes of it are abandoned. They wouldn't have to live in the sewers.

Well the thing is that Rede is not from Evermor.

Is that like....not okay? 

It's...

It's okay, but it does present some problems. Notably, as I've mentioned, the wilds outside of the cities are getting thicker and more dangerous, so how did she get to Evermor?

Also, other questions:

What would everyone think about Tetra having a Dire Wolf/Dire Lion mount? Reason being, horses maintain superiority in the field, but lions and wolves are quieter and more maneuverable, making them more suited to hunting in cities.

• edited 2012-11-04 01:27:50

How do Dire wolves and lions compare to warhorses, in terms of stats? I mean, there's movement speed vs. stealthiness, which you've covered, but I'm imagining these two things have more Hit Dice and are more lethal? Unless they upgraded the War Horse in Pathfinder.

• There is also the fact that I don't like horses much, and it is noted that Paladins can ride creatures other than warhorses- although the specific examples given are boars, camels and dogs (dogs?).

Isn't there a weapon alternative? You can always take Leadership and get a monster cohort. Alternatively, there's a prestige class that does get a Griffin as a mount... it's kind of a regional thing, but it can easily be refluffed if we're in a custom setting, anyway... on that account, is the city a part of a bigger world? By nature, my character is probably backstory light, but being from outside, I'd like to know if there's locations and or background I should/could use, or if I should make stuff up.

Also, what's the deal with character sheets, should I register in that site and make one?

• edited 2012-11-04 01:30:10

It's okay, but it does present some problems. Notably, as I've mentioned, the wilds outside of the cities are getting thicker and more dangerous, so how did she get to Evermor?

I assume there's still some kind of transportation into and out of the city, no? If not, then how did everyone else get there?

Also there is still, like, civilization outside of Evermor right? It's not just that city? I thought this campaign took place in a modified version of Eberron. Correct me if I am mistaken. 

How do Dire wolves and lions compare to warhorses, in terms of stats? I mean, there's movement speed vs. stealthiness, which you've covered, but I'm imagining these two things have more Hit Dice and are more lethal? Unless they upgraded the War Horse in Pathfinder.

The Paladin's mount actually levels with the Paladin in Pathfinder, in terms of HD, BAB, feats they can gain, STR/Dex bonus, and that sort of thing.

They level using the Druid's Animal Companion growth table.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

• What is happening is, on the continent the game takes place in, everything is growing richer, more abundant, bigger.

Oh, this is actually very good.

You should either make a character sheet up on Myth-weavers, or fill out a PDF of the character sheet and drop it somewhere I can download it.

Will do.

I am not aware of this prestige class. Which one is it?

I believe it was called Steel Falcon.

• Has friends besides tanks now

^^ Ah.

• edited 2012-11-04 01:39:59
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Isn't there a weapon alternative?

There is, but I don't like it. Plus, the bonuses are much less than those a Mount gives you.

Alternatively, there's a prestige class that does get a Griffin as a mount... it's kind of a regional thing, but it can easily be refluffed if we're in a custom setting, anyway...

I am not aware of this prestige class. Which one is it?

on that account, is the city a part of a bigger world?

(I will use this to reply to Lazuli, too.)

The city is part of a bigger world. It is not a pocket dimension or any of that sort of thing.

I don't really want to say too much, because a lot of the campaign will be spent exploring the city and finding out what is causing this.

What is happening is, on the continent the game takes place in, everything is growing richer, more abundant, bigger. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the jungle outside of the city is growing thicker and thicker, and where it was previously teeming with life, it is nearly bursting with it now- some more dangerous than others.

This growth also applies to the continent itself, and the surrounding oceans, extending out for several hundred miles. I don't really want to go into the physics of it, because it would all break down, so just say "magic" and run with it.

There are several smaller cities outside of Evermor, including many dozens that have since been annihilated by the growth of the jungle on the continent. Traveling outside of the city is considered dangerous, however, and the further you move, the more likely that a hungry bear, or wolf, or even a dinosaur, might come along and eat you. Moving from city to city is a risky business.

Suffice it to say that this wasn't always like this though.

For the actual towns themselves outside of Evermor, feel free to come up with your own details on them.

Zoras Yuell ver 1.5

That's fine.

• edited 2012-11-04 01:51:31

So there are no other large cities whatsoever?

I don't particularly mind, I'm just wanting to clarify.

(also wouldn't a large city, no matter how infinitely expanding, still need a sewer?) 

Also this setting seems to be the opposite of Dark Sun

No large cities other than that one, no.

And yes, it has a sewer. I am just saying that nothing needs to live int he sewers, because there's huge abandoned swathes of city where they could settle instead.

This is true. That requires two small tweaks to the post.

Is everything else alright, then? 

Everything else is alright, yes.

• edited 2012-11-04 01:56:42

Cool.

Do these abandoned areas have a name? 

Funnyguts said she'll have my character sheet converted into something usable by tomorrow. So you will have that then. 

I might come up with names as needed, but I have no names yet.

Also, what's the deal with character sheets, should I register in that site and make one?

Also, sorry for not seeing this, Noimporta.

You should either make a character sheet up on Myth-weavers, or fill out a PDF of the character sheet and drop it somewhere I can download it.

• edited 2012-11-04 02:32:20
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I believe it was called Steel Falcon.

I'll check that out then.

Okay, I've checked out the Steel Falcon prestige class (found in the Pathfinder Companion, Andoran: Spirit of Liberty, if you're interested).

They do not, unfortunately, ride griffins.

They do, however, hate slavers. A lot.

• edited 2012-11-04 19:02:38

Fixed Djanain again, since apparently I left the Kukri in after finalizing Kensai, even though he couldn't be proficient with that and the Scimitar. And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it was't for my meddling conscience!

• So, I guess it's done. It's kind of cheesy... OK, it's very cheesy, but I think it'll do.